• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Best Cooling Method for the Bucks

LoserXLeet

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
173
I'm upgrading to a new PC this christmas, and I'm not sure what cooling system I should buy. I left the PSU/Case out because I think what I should get should be based on the best cooling system possible. Any suggestions whatsoever would be appreciated, but if everything checks out I'm totally lost as to what case/psu/cooling system to get. Try to keep in mind I'm trying to stay under $1200.

VidCard: $300 - 7800GT | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256
VidCard: $300 - 7800GT | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256
Mobo: $80 - Sock939, SLI | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138253
Ram: $40 - 512MB Corsair PC3200 | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145026
CPU: $235 - AMD64 3700+ Sock939 | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539


Those are my finished system specs, but I already have 512 of the same ram. I have no experience/knowledge at all concerning water cooling systems, but I'm willing to take some time and learn if it means ending up with a better computer. Thanks for reading!
 
I'd recommend not going with the BIOStar board. Its not a component where you want to go cheap if possible. I'd recommend one of the DFI SLI boards or one of the Asus boards. The cheapest I would recommend is the evga sli board, its got potential but has a few overclocking memory issues getting worked out. I believe that the corsair ram should be just fine in that board though.

As for cooling/case/psu

Sounds to me like a Thermalright XP-90C or XP-120 HSF will be good for you.

I'd recommend like an antec/ocz/seasonic powersupply. I think the Seasonic 600W SLI is decently Priced. The Antec TruePower 550W 2.0 is a good PSU but lacks in the looks department. The OCZ Power Stream 600W is nice but is kinda $$$ if I recall. These are all SLI ready though.

As for case, I am not one to suggest much as I just go with what has good mod potential for the price. I kinda like that new Aerocool Masstige case its similar to the coolermaster stacker.
 
i would have to agree do not get that mobo, go with a DFI, ASUS, MSI or EPoX (in that order)

and be sure to get a good PSU SLI pulls alot of power.

as for the heatsinks look at the
Thermaltake Big Tyhpoon
Scythe ninja
Thermalright XP 90/120 or SI 120
Zalman 9500
 
Go Wet you'll never regret. look HERE for some good value kits and check the watercooling forum for all you need to know.
 
Hey I am into WC :) I just dont like recommending it to somebody who seems to be new :)
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
as for the heatsinks look at the
Thermaltake Big Tyhpoon
Scythe ninja
Thermalright XP 90/120 or SI 120
Zalman 9500
the xp-90 would be the value level hsf, throw in the xp-90c, and you've got the list of the best hsf's.
 
jman1 said:
Go Wet you'll never regret. look HERE for some good value kits and check the watercooling forum for all you need to know.

A sizeable minority always regret it. That's BS.

Personally I like watercooling, but I also like walking around hardware stores looking for obscure sealants for pelt cooling... and I willingly sacrificed a lot of money when OC'ing or WC'ing went awry while I was learning.

Unless the guy is going to try to OC big time he would never need water cooling.
 
Back
Top