Best consumer-level wireless router for large rambler?

ryanjg11

Gawd
I'm setting up a large rambler house with a large footprint, and the only broadband connections are at opposing points of the house. Right now, I'm using two Linksys WRT54GS routers running Tomato in a WDS setup. A router, positioned in the middle point of the house, acts as a wireless access point so that the computer on the far end of the house can pickup the wireless signal. (One WRT54GS on its own doesn't have the power to go all the way across the house.)

I would like simplify things with a single, hi-power, hi-speed router at one end of the house. I know I can get better speeds with Draft N routers, but I need more signal strength as well. Are there any products currently available that can perform much better than my WRT54GS routers right now?

I need to go about 125 feet, through a number of walls. (This might not even be possible... but if it is, I'm interested!)

Depends on the construction. Just a large rambler...125 feet...that's not hard. My current house is about 3,600 sq ft, 3 floors, the prior house I lived in was a big old 3 story farmhouse, and my wrt150n router covered them both just fine by itself.

I'd upgrade to "N" anyways...the MIMO technology punches through areas that G and older tech didn't do so well.

I would definitely recommend upgrading to N as well. You'll be pleased with the speed boost and increased range. I just replaced a WRT54GL (running Tomato) with a Netgear N750 (aka WNDR4000). File transfer speeds across the LAN are insane.

Doesn't support 5ghz in the basic AP. Also, if you check out the Ubiquity forums there's a bunch of people complaining about them.

#1 complaint currently,

Can't update the firmware correctly:

Occurs if you:
Assign a static IP and or change the default username/password

Known solution:
Use DHCP, reset the device to factory defaults before upgrading firmware......Duh

Rabbit hole: If you try to upgrade the firmware without doing the steps above you have lock yourself out of being able to use the management interface. In order to reset the device you will then have to SSH into the Unfi to reset it to defaults.

#2 complaint

Does not show up correctly in the management interface if you use Static IP.
BUT it still routes and functions properly otherwise.

Known solution: none, its a cosmetic bug.

#1 complaint currently,

Can't update the firmware correctly:

Occurs if you:
Assign a static IP and or change the default username/password

Known solution:
Use DHCP, reset the device to factory defaults before upgrading firmware......Duh

Rabbit hole: If you try to upgrade the firmware without doing the steps above you have lock yourself out of being able to use the management interface. In order to reset the device you will then have to SSH into the Unfi to reset it to defaults.

#2 complaint

Does not show up correctly in the management interface if you use Static IP.
BUT it still routes and functions properly otherwise.

Known solution: none, its a cosmetic bug.

Have you ever setup more than one of these like on a spanning tree ? I have multiple customers that have (HUGE) houses and require 2-4 ap's in their house.

No sorry I have no personal experience with multiple Unfi devices. I can tell you that it has been done before and that they expect version 2.0 to support virtual WDS which should allow one BSSID on (1) channel to be used everywhere with all the routing being performed seamlessly. The only negatives with the Unfi systems are that they are not tamper resistant, and they are still a little buggy when you use the advanced features or during upgrading. The good news is that they are upgradeable and ARE being supported. According to their FAQ each AP is designed to handle a maximum of 40 clients.

There are three variations of the UNFI units.

The Standard
The Long Range
The Pro

All three support wireless N.
Only the Pro has simultaneous dual band. The pro model has not been released yet.

Back