Best computer speaker setup <$500?

w4ke

n00b
I've had (and loved) a set of Klipsch v.400 4.1 speakers. Theyve worked great, but they crackle a lot after 4 years of use. I am looking to spend up to $500 replacing them. I was thinking either:

Logitech Z-5500
Creative Labs Gigawatt 5.1 or 7.1

heres what I do on my computer:

Listen to music all day. its my office. Play an occasional game, but not a lot . Music takes precedence over games.

What I dont do on my PC: Watch DVDs, watch TV, etc etc. I have a big TV and surround sound in my living room.

I just want a really nice setup in my office.

Thanks, scott

Ive been considering an amp/receiver and some nice bookshelf-type speakers.

Im not really an audio-guru, but I think I could pick out a good set of bookshelf speakers and a receiver for $500.

Although, I do like my 4.1 setup now. I think I would miss the "dual stereo" setup. Sure MP3s arent 5.1 or anything, but I would like to have the 'music coming from all around' feeling.

Get the SR-TX302 mentioned earlier, with two pairs of Fosgate passive monitors from accessories4less.com (coupon %20 off: april20). That should top out at $400.

Then go for a cheap DIY sonotube sub or a Dayton cheapo fom Parts Express. Also cheack your local Craslist.org to see if there are better/cheaper sub/receiver options. The speakers should be nearfield.

ALternately, spend more on the subwoofer, and only get a pair of speakers. For music, two channel listening is native anyway and gaming is acceptable.

I read the thread about the Fosgate monitors. They look like a great buy for $144. With the Onkyo amp for ~120, thats only $264. I'm going to order these, and if I feel like I need a sub or surround speakers I will go with those.

Does anyone know if the Onkyo receiver supports SPDIF? My soundcard has SPDIF in and out. Should I upgrade my soundcard to something better? I have a philips acoustic edge.

Like I said earlier, this is an office setup that will only be hooked up to a computer to play MP3s and the occasional CD. Would I be better off with the M-Audio card that Ars reccomends, or are there better sound cards for ~100 ?

-scott

Bought the Onkyo receiver for $119 (woot free shipping too!).....

Might go with the Fosgate monitors or a traditional 5.1 speaker setup.

Is the Onkyo receiver (65w/ch) going to be enough to power the Fosgates? They are 200w

That's maximum power handling. That's not a number to strive for. I think they'll be fine. After all, when you're close to the speakers, you won't need that much wattage.

Yes, that reciever has two digital inputs. I'd guess that the DACS in the Onkyo are better than the DAC stage on the Acoustic Edge, but that's just a guess. Otherwise, you need a minijack -> rca adaptor. Take a peek at the FAQ fro an idea of what one of these look like.

Try both digital and analog and see what's better.

Back