Best cleaner for LCD displays?

RyanH

Limp Gawd
My LCD is very bright even compared to other LCDs, so for the most part dirt goes unnoticed and I don't feel the need to clean it as often as my old CRT. I'm looking for a good streak free cleaner that doesn't leave any noticeable residue and that is safe to use of course. I've already purchased the Philips Screen cleaning gel for plasma and LCD but it leave a very noticeable steaky residue thats hard to come off. I've also tried using some CD/DVD cleaner liquid but I got similar results. What do you all recommend?

Oh one more question does the type of panel make a difference as far as cleaners go? I have an IPS Anti-glare panel.

The only guaranteed safe cleaning method for an LCD screen is to use distilled water (available for cheap in most grocery stores) and a soft microfiber cloth (available at any eyeglasses store). If there are stains that distilled water simply won't remove anymore, use water-diluted isopropyl alcohol (commonly found as rubbing alcohol, again for cheap in grocery store) but use only when water won't do it.

Never use Windex or other ammonia-based cleaners on LCD screens - they WILL ruin the finish badly.

The only guaranteed safe cleaning method for an LCD screen is to use distilled water (available for cheap in most grocery stores) and a soft microfiber cloth (available at any eyeglasses store). If there are stains that distilled water simply won't remove anymore, use water-diluted isopropyl alcohol (commonly found as rubbing alcohol, again for cheap in grocery store) but use only when water won't do it.

Never use Windex or other ammonia-based cleaners on LCD screens - they WILL ruin the finish badly.

not just LCDs, Windex/etc has also destroyed many a CRT, Plasma, and RPTV :eek:

I use water with good success, VERY minimal amount + one of those 3M cloths (I would guess its microfiber?) and just very gently wipe down my LCD monitors, works fine, rinse and repeat for more monitors, hit the monitor's bezel/chassis first with the dry cloth for extra points

on CRTs I use a bit more water and pressure to prevent streaks

I also do this with the monitor off ;)

Ok ill try distilled water next time and I already have a microfiber cloth but its kind of dirty. Can I clean a microfiber cloth like with soap and water or should I just get another one.

Ok ill try distilled water next time and I already have a microfiber cloth but its kind of dirty. Can I clean a microfiber cloth like with soap and water or should I just get another one.

Yes. The full cleaning process is to soak it in dish soap for 2 hours and then run it through the laundry. You can skip the dish soap if it is not greassy or oily. Most of the time it is just dust so I through it in the laundry. I make sure to use one for my TV screen only, nothing else. That way it never has anything more then dust on it.

Sense your microfiber cloth is already dirty, I would go buy a new one. You can get them cheap in the automotive section of Target.

For matte finish screens I use BestBuy monitor wipes.

Have fun

Dave

I got some cleaning solution from ShaggyMac.com and a nice little microfiber cloth. It worked extremely well on my glossy Dell m1330 screen that had 2 years of smudges and finger oils on it. The screen looks new.

Back