Best choice for 4GHz?

abe2000

n00b
How good does the P4 660 OC? I want a (very) stable 4GHz on air, preferably with stock HSF.

And what do you think about Abit AW8-MAX? I've been thinking of ASUS P5WD2-Premium too but I really need the six SATA ports.

And if it's of any help, here's the list:

P4 660 3.6GHz 2MB 800MHz
Abit AW8-MAX
2x Corsair TWIN2X DDR2 1GB PC5400 CL4 (2x512)
XFX 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCIe, Dual-DVI, VIVO, 450/1050MHz

Upgrading from:

P4 NW 2.8GHz 512KB 800MHz HT
Abit IC7-G
Corsair TWINX DDR 1GB PC3200 CL2 (2x512)
Sapphire Radeon 9800 XT 256MB

Yes, I know.. but is 660 the best one? (except for 670)

Lets say I'm running it at 900 FSB, 4050MHz. How stable do you think that would be on air? What I want is a VERY stable machine. And how good is the stock HSF? do you think I need something better?

abe2000 said:
Yes, I know.. but is 660 the best one? (except for 670)

Lets say I'm running it at 900 FSB, 4050MHz. How stable do you think that would be on air? What I want is a VERY stable machine.

Those are questions nobody can answer. If they do, they're just talking out their ass.

abe2000 said:
And how good is the stock HSF? do you think I need something better?

It sucks compared to after markets. Upgrading the HS, especially if you are planning on OC'ing, should be the first thing you do.

pigpen said:
It sucks compared to after markets. Upgrading the HS, especially if you are planning on OC'ing, should be the first thing you do.

Ok, thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good HS? I've heard XP90 is good, what about Swiftech and Zalman, etc?

That should be the last question i guess.. thanks for the help.

abe2000 said:
Ok, thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good HS? I've heard XP90 is good, what about Swiftech and Zalman, etc?

That should be the last question i guess.. thanks for the help.

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/xp90-ret-21.html That's a good deal right now because it comes with a fan. SVC usually sells it w/o the fan for $29.

Zalman's are also very good. Usually considered the better choice if you are concerned with noise.

Swiftech's are usually pricier. I think cost: performance xp-90 is the best.

Holy Crap...

My system idles at around 60... im too scared to see how high it goes at full load! :S
Thats at STOCK, and with the retail HSF!

Saeid said:
Holy Crap...

My system idles at around 60... im too scared to see how high it goes at full load! :S
Thats at STOCK, and with the retail HSF!

Fist thing would be to check for an updated Bios. Lost of times those crazy high temps are just being read by some buggy sensor. Second would be to take the HS off, clean all the surfaces, apply some Arctic silver, and then put it back together.

save some cash and grab the 650 or something in the 6xx series below that...taht extra 150+ cash can be put into a very good hsf...ive ehard different things about zalman...some say they're only better by the stock about 1-2 C but others say theyre great and drop it around 7-10 or more...imo, i wud grab the xp-90 (aluminum and copper, the copper is wayyyy heavy and isnt so much greater) and a panaflo
gl hf with ur build :D

i love my cnps7000cu, but ive had it only AMD chips and northwoods... i dunno how it would handle a prescott...

if you arent building this right now, wait for the cnps9500 :D

I'm actually thinking (in the final phases) of selling my new system...

I would make like %4 profit out of it... :S

And i think it would better, since the temps are totally not true... which means the sensors are buggy.. and i ALWAYS check my temps... i cannot, not live without them...

So for the person who buys im sure would have no problem...

P.s. i went thru hell to put this PC together... that buyer better take care of the baby i have brought forth into this cruel world!

I've got a 3.2e Skt478 for sale in the FS/FT forum that is stable at 4GHz with 1.4625 vcorr
Fluke

Just make sure it is an E0 :) From my experience, 3.2 and up E0's will hit 4 easily with crap cooling too. If your board has room for the FSB, the 3.0's and 2.8's might get close too.

Interesting. Do you have to take any security measures in terms of net usage given your location?

Saeid said:
Long Live Iran, Long Live Freedom!
(Down with the Islamic Republic)

why not do what im doing and build a dothan system for about $300 total, im replacing my prescott setup with dothan, man water coolings going to be silly for that cpu....lol

pretty much all the 600 series hit 4Ghz on air fairly easily.

So why not go for the cheapest that will give you the highest FSB when OC'd..... the 630!!

P.S. use the money you saved from going with a 630 instead of 660 to buy 2 x 1Gb of ram. This will make your system last longer and play Battlefield 2 (and other future games) better.

chrisf6969 said:
So why not go for the cheapest that will give you the highest FSB when OC'd..... the 630!!

That's not a bad idea, the aw8 max overclocks like a mofo too so you would be good to go.

Back