• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best CHEAP PSU for second rig?

Argher

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
374
All right, folks.

I have a second rig I'm putting together, specs as follows:
CoolerMaster Centurion 532 case
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
Opteron 144 (CAB2E 0542 or 0540 if I recall, one of the nice steppings)
1GB Crucial Ballistix (2x 512mb)
X600XT (may sub a different video card, but this will most likely be the selection)
WD 120GB HD
Samsung DVDRW
And, of course,
HP keyboard/ball mouse! booya!

So with all that said, I'm looking for an inexpensive, reliable PSU. I've been looking at the Rosewill models, as I know a guy who has used those since they were introduced and hasn't had issues, also I know Fortron are the old standby. How about the cheapy Topower/HIPRO/ePOWER models?

Elucidate for me! Expand my horizons! I generally only know about high-end PSUs, not the lowbies. Given the cost of this system (about nil, everything mentioned except the PSU and vid card I already have), I don't want to put tooo much into the PSU.
 
I should clarify -

I'm looking for under $50 shipped.

I'm looking for essentially the cheapest power supply (I know, I know, I preach the same thing) that will get the job done, and done reliably.
 
You could pickup a 400W fortron or less for about $40 on newegg, which should suit the system well. If you want cheaper, although I wouldn't advise it, the Ultra V-Series 400W PSUs arn't half bad and are very cheap in price.
 
So there are no dark horse sorts of PSUs, just the obvious contenders that I mentioned in my first post?
 
Argher said:
I should clarify -

I'm looking for under $50 shipped.

I'm looking for essentially the cheapest power supply (I know, I know, I preach the same thing) that will get the job done, and done reliably.
There are good deals, hot deals, and "you get what you pay for". ;)
 
The Sytrin / masscool 460w?

Weird. I've never heard of it. Lemme google.

Edit: So I just googled it, looks like it runs around $70 or so. That really is more than I want to spend, unfortunately. It does look like an amazing supply though (I just read the guru review below).

Any other ideas or should I just run with my best judgment, as I do know a bit about this stuff after all?
 
Argher said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003

How about that thar monkey? $40 is substantially less than the $70 required for the Sytrin, and it is made by CWT if I recall, so perhaps a decent supply for the price?

Yeah it should be fine...and yes it is made by CWT. The one gotcha is that if there is a problem with the DFI baord they will not help you since the PSU isn't 480w's :rolleyes:
 
Spectre - you've got to be kidding me. They would rather I get some generic "500W" unit than a quality 450?
 
Argher said:
Spectre - you've got to be kidding me. They would rather I get some generic "500W" unit than a quality 450?

I kid not. Their (very flawed) reasoning is they want to eliminate the PSU as a problem point...but they do so with an arbitrary ruling that has no bearing on actual performance. You could always tell them you are usuing the 480BL though
 
Haha, wow. Oh, DFI...

On a side note, I had a problem with cold boots with my old Antec NeoHE 430 (that's now powering my 4400+/A8R32-MVP Deluxe flawlessly). Did they ever fix that problem, or are there PSUs that have been known to work where others have failed?

I just realized, that's probably a lot more important than the expense of the thing. Doesn't matter how much money I have left if I can't turn on the computer.
 
Well, it's over.

I finally just bought SPCR's review sample Ultra X-Finity 500W unit, to comply with DFI's meaningless standards and because it fit my budget ($40 shipped).
 
Back
Top