• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

best cheap CPU to O/C

Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
1,003
I'm on a budget and hoping to spend ~100-130 on a proc.

What's gonna give me the best shot for 4ghz, are most of them going to do ~3.5 no problem?

Assuming decent motherboard, cooling will be thermalright xp-120.
 
Is that going to OC much better than an e5200?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering too, the E5xxx range gives up 1mb of cache, but you get better multipliers due to the 800mhz bus.

All of them will do a 1333mhz bus pretty well.
 
I know xbit labs compared e5200 and e7300 of same stepping, and the 7300 got 0.2 GHz higher overclock, 4.0 vs 3.8. Versus 4.6 for top e8000.

So e5200 gets the worst of the chips, but it's not that different.
 
I know xbit labs compared e5200 and e7300 of same stepping, and the 7300 got 0.2 GHz higher overclock, 4.0 vs 3.8. Versus 4.6 for top e8000.

that was a M0 stepping, E7400 are R0


I would say that if you are set on 4GHz, get an E7400 to be sure (you still may not get it). E5200 is the bang 4 the buck king right now. I have seen people posting that you start to get a big dropoff in increased performance after the 3.4~3.6Ghz range
 
For me it's e5200 for $70 or e7400 for $105 w/ tax at Microcenter, tough call.
 
i'd save up some more many and just get a q6600 myself. 3 - 3.2 ghz o/c without even having to up the core voltage (on my friends pc we got it stable at 3 w/ no increase in voltage at all, he didnt wanna go higher). they can go higher easily.
 
i'd save up some more many and just get a q6600 myself. 3 - 3.2 ghz o/c without even having to up the core voltage (on my friends pc we got it stable at 3 w/ no increase in voltage at all, he didnt wanna go higher). they can go higher easily.

For curiousity's sake mostly, I want a dual core now, and will get a quad later. I might save a little money that way, but mainly I just want to see the benefit of first the Intel C2D architecture and then the quad benefit - without combining them all at once.
 
Yeah that would be the best way to do it.Plus you have more factors when it comes to ocing a quad.With dual core just about any decent mobo will get it to high clocks.
 
Back
Top