Best card for me?

Fel

Limp Gawd
this is the power supply im using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

bare bones system, 2gb ram, 5600+ am2 brisbane, 1 hard drive, 1024x768 reso. might possibly in the future upgrade to a bigger monitor but i'm not that concerned. Trying to get a real energy efficient card since my psu isnt the greatest.. would the 5770 be overkill? I really don't care about the games being that flashy, i'm just looking for the best bang for the buck available right now.

thanks.

5770 would work fine. It's only 108W TDP. Although it's probably overkill for your res. Your total max system power draw sounds like it'd be under 250W including a 5770, but that's fine because you want some buffer for spikes and to account for aging capacitors in the PSU. Plus you don't want to be running anywhere near maximum wattage on your PSU anyway for efficiency and safety concerns.

this is the power supply im using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

bare bones system, 2gb ram, 5600+ am2 brisbane, 1 hard drive, 1024x768 reso. might possibly in the future upgrade to a bigger monitor but i'm not that concerned. Trying to get a real energy efficient card since my psu isnt the greatest.. would the 5770 be overkill? I really don't care about the games being that flashy, i'm just looking for the best bang for the buck available right now.

thanks.

Hmm, would the 4770 be better for my low res? Anywhere i can still find it at(needs to be XFX)?

your gonna be cpu limited really bad but itll run everything out at max settings at 1024x768

Hmm, would the 4770 be better for my low res? Anywhere i can still find it at(needs to be XFX)?

Post above this was a good point. Maybe you should get a 5670 or 5750 instead. 5750 has better bang for the buck as it's much faster but only $20 more expensive than a 1GB 5760, but even an overclocked 5670 is good enough to max a lot of games out at 1024x768 (not Crysis-level games though). XFX makes pretty much every type of 5xxx right now, but you can search on newegg or something to make sure.

4770 would work too but I thought they stopped making those, making them hard to find...

You should have put it in another component. Larger Monitor would have made for a much better gaming experience than a videocard that is extremely overkill for a resolution that was standard 15 years ago.

Why do people post threads asking questions that they have no desire to know the answer to?

You should have put it in another component. Larger Monitor would have made for a much better gaming experience than a videocard that is extremely overkill for a resolution that was standard 15 years ago.

I don't care about the display, a bigger monitor will not make the game more fun for me.

Why do people post threads asking questions that they have no desire to know the answer to?

wtf...?

Well he did say he might upgrade the monitor soon. I'd upgrade the CPU/RAM first, then monitor, then video card, in that order.

I donno where people get the data for "your graphics card is too powerful for that monitor". Run Crysis at "enthusiast" settings on any video card, keeping the resolution at 800X600, and you're going to see the framerate drop below the refresh rate of the monitor.

Projecting that forward a bit, after some period of time, your graphics card is going to have some work to do to render a video card at a comfertable frame-rate even at a low resolution.

And Open CL 1.0 and Direct Compute (DX 11) compliance might become a serious advantage, depends where the industry goes; I'm working to make it one.

Well he did say he might upgrade the monitor soon. I'd upgrade the CPU/RAM first, then monitor, then video card, in that order.

used my last paycheck from my summer job to buy that gpu. as long as i can play my vidyagames smoothly ill be happy.

Do you guys not agree the 5770 was a good choice? the only two other real choices were the 5670 or 5750, the 5670 from what i recall was gimped, and the 5750 was as much as the 5770.

Back