Best card for gaming...

kinson

Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
772
I'm looking for the BEST card for gaming, either with a stereo headset/sound system to a full 5.1 gaming audio/HT system... I want GREAT sound, and increased Fps if possible, I just really dont want a massive decrease in sound... Read reviews on the auzentech, and it looks cool, but a 14% decrease in FPS on 2142 kinda makes me shiver... Of course the guru review ran fraps in the background which is never a good thing :p...

Already done a post for home systems, and got a great output... Hoping for the same with this one... Thanks...
 
X-Fi.

Any OpenAL game will kill Auzentech cards (like BF2 related games).
 
noticed... But BF2 type games aside... EAX yadda yadda... What about other games... Does the auzentech do any better, or is it just a the best damn card for Music/Video... I mean, is there any game, that has an audio set up that would actually gain from the card... and doesnt the Meridian run off of PC ram, does not contain any of its own on the card... ?
 
you see, most games recommend a soundcard that supports eax. and the best card for eax, of course, is from the guys who developed it, creative. x-fi is the best card for gaming.

auzentech is only good if you're gonna be connecting the card directly to a receiver via optical or spdif. and that's it.

if you want the best card for music, there are brands/models better than both the x-fi and auzentech, like the emu 1212m.
 
kinson said:
noticed... But BF2 type games aside... EAX yadda yadda... What about other games... Does the auzentech do any better, or is it just a the best damn card for Music/Video... I mean, is there any game, that has an audio set up that would actually gain from the card... and doesnt the Meridian run off of PC ram, does not contain any of its own on the card... ?

The Auzentech cards do basically everything in software. So there really isn't a game that benefits from a Auzentech card. It does even worse in OpenAL games because it has to use extra CPU cycles to translate OpenAL calls to DirectSound3D calls (and then render those DirectSound3D calls in software). Auzentech is basically the same as using onboard for games, just with much higher sound quality.
 
Thank you both... That was pretty much what I was getting from reading the reviews... Just sometimes helps make a point clearer when other people see the same thoughts, or better yet know with greater knowledge :)...

Which is the better x-fi card ?? the fatal1ty ? or is there a better higher recommended card?
 
I use a Fatality card in my rig. The only game I play is BF2 the sound from high to ultra seems to work great for me.

Just my opinion.
 
kinson said:
I'm looking for the BEST card for gaming, either with a stereo headset/sound system to a full 5.1 gaming audio/HT system... I want GREAT sound, and increased Fps if possible, I just really dont want a massive decrease in sound... Read reviews on the auzentech, and it looks cool, but a 14% decrease in FPS on 2142 kinda makes me shiver... Of course the guru review ran fraps in the background which is never a good thing :p...

Already done a post for home systems, and got a great output... Hoping for the same with this one... Thanks...

Well he got 14% decrease when using 7800GT, just imagine if he uses a 7600 or lower.
 
It depends on game developers actually wheter they want use hardware acceleration or not. Crysis will use Vista's software solution if I'm not mistaken.
 
look, here's the problem

For games the X-FI is just way better if not in terms of sound quality then certainly in terms of performance. I just can't play an FPS with all settings cranked and eax on without a damn x-fi.

For music the X-Fi sucks.

Solution?

it's complicated but if you have say $400 and want truly entry level audiophile sound pm me.
 
It depends on game developers actually wheter they want use hardware acceleration or not. Crysis will use Vista's software solution if I'm not mistaken

while some games might go to a software solution where everything sounds the same no matter the audio card, games that use OpenAL will sound dramatically different without an X-Fi. not to mention games that are built around DS3D being played on vista will sound like crap without an X-Fi (ALchemy)
 
if you play games get an x-fi. doesn't really matter which one (Fatality is supposed to be the fastest but few games use it's extra ram) b/c you will need a DAC (digital to analogue converter) and some half-decent headphones or "real" speakers. PC surround speakers don't count sorry. I would and do have a decent 2.1 setup BEHIND me which sounds like surround lol.

ok in simple terms

1. get an X-FI
2. get a DAC
http://pacificvalve.us/DIYEDEDNGM.html
3. get this cable which will allow you to use the x-fi as a digital source.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/...pdif.html#1505f

I can't recall if you are wanting to use headphones or 5.1 but either way this is some kick ass "real" sound.
 
I don't really think an external, high-dollar DAC box is really necessary, but to each his own. The cheap-o X-Fi XtremeMusic delivers pretty stellar quality out of the box.
 
xref said:
auzentech is only good if you're gonna be connecting the card directly to a receiver via optical or spdif. and that's it.

Not true...please read the reviews about this card and its analog capabilities. (im not saying that its better for gaming, just saying that your statement is wrong)
 
jester1176 said:
while some games might go to a software solution where everything sounds the same no matter the audio card, games that use OpenAL will sound dramatically different without an X-Fi. not to mention games that are built around DS3D being played on vista will sound like crap without an X-Fi (ALchemy)

Why and how would it sound the same on all cards? Just because the processing is done by the CPU, it doesn't mean that the sound would be the same. This is like saying that the Elite Pro sounds the same as the cheapo XtremeGamer just because they use the same sound processor.
 
to the guy known as "less than, greater than, less than"

i've tried the auzentech, and i wasn't impressed with its analog output.
 
phide said:
I don't really think an external, high-dollar DAC box is really necessary, but to each his own. The cheap-o X-Fi XtremeMusic delivers pretty stellar quality out of the box.

ROFL how is $210 high dollar? the cost of that dac and an x-fi extreme is still LESS than the top of the line x-fi and it kicks the donkey poop out of it all day all night!

for music the x-fi SUCKS period.
 
Well, that's not an authoritative statement at all :rolleyes:

You can't put a "period" in the closing of your opinion, sir. We typically do that for facts.

alg7_munif said:
Why and how would it sound the same on all cards? Just because the processing is done by the CPU, it doesn't mean that the sound would be the same.
Correct. The bits might be identical (or very similar) on the input to the DAC(s), but that doesn't mean what comes out of the analog outputs is going to be similar. In fact, the output can and generally will be drastically different.
 
period. anyone not tone deaf would agree that the musicality of that combo is IN FACT far superior in every aspect. that's not an opinion man it's the truth.

nuff said tho agree or not that's the opinion of it.
 
xref said:
to the guy known as "less than, greater than, less than"

i've tried the auzentech, and i wasn't impressed with its analog output.

I was going by the recent review done over at guru3d which praised the analog output and also by reading user opinions of this card on the forums. I have ordered the similar but cheaper bluegears b-Enspirer which i will receive on monday, so i'll be able to get a better perspective of which sounds better when connected to by logitech z5500s.

But anyway, to get back on topic, the best card for gaming would obviously be the x-fi series....the fatal1ty version has actually come on sale for about $100 or so (after rebate) in the past, so keep an eye out and u can get a good deal on that card.
 
kinson said:
I'm looking for the BEST card for gaming, either with a stereo headset/sound system to a full 5.1 gaming audio/HT system... I want GREAT sound, and increased Fps if possible, I just really dont want a massive decrease in sound... Read reviews on the auzentech, and it looks cool, but a 14% decrease in FPS on 2142 kinda makes me shiver... Of course the guru review ran fraps in the background which is never a good thing :p...

Already done a post for home systems, and got a great output... Hoping for the same with this one... Thanks...

The quick answer is X-Fi hands down. X-Gamer or X-Music, avoid Xtreme-Audio at all costs.

Though I agree with Guru when it comes to video cards, IMHO they're FOS with it comes to Creative as a whole and X-Fi in particular. The guys cranked the Card down to 32 voices and then compared them LOL! They complained about Blue Screens after exiting DVD Audio Player. My best advice to them is use an Intel based system and avoid using nVidia motherboards like the one he used. I saw the same problem on my Asus A8N SLI-3500+ and it took two BIOS flashes to fix it. It ran perfectly from Day one with my DS3-i965.
 
slightly OT..but has anyone seen another one of those ~100$ Fatal1ty deals?

at that price and for gaming...it can't be beat.
 
Cliff Couser said:
slightly OT..but has anyone seen another one of those ~100$ Fatal1ty deals?

at that price and for gaming...it can't be beat.

XtremeGamer Fatal1iy Pro (no remote or I/O panel) is $130 at Buy.com...so $110 with Google checkout.

Otherwise, the Platinum is $157 from Amazon with a $50 MIR.
 
Parja said:
XtremeGamer Fatal1iy Pro (no remote or I/O panel) is $130 at Buy.com...so $110 with Google checkout.

Otherwise, the Platinum is $157 from Amazon with a $50 MIR.

They were cheaper before Newegg ran out. $125.99 with a $30 MIR = $95.99. The full version is $132.99 after MIR $50 as well.
 
id suggest the platinum @ 150 over the Fatal1ty @ 130. that X-RAM isn't worth not having a drive bay for front access to headphone and mic jacks :)
 
Parja,

Wow! Thanks for that! I'm in!

....hope they have it for pick-up at the Frys near me. :) Staatus online is "Call for Availability"
 
jester1176 said:
id suggest the platinum @ 150 over the Fatal1ty @ 130. that X-RAM isn't worth not having a drive bay for front access to headphone and mic jacks :)

You might want to check Newegg:) That $132.99 price tag is for the Fatal1ty with the I/O console and remote.

$132.99

You end up paying almost what the Xtreme-Music sold for when it launched. One place had this same deal for $125 but quickly sold out.
 
Cliff Couser said:
Parja,

Wow! Thanks for that! I'm in!

....hope they have it for pick-up at the Frys near me. :) Staatus online is "Call for Availability"

At Newegg, the Platinum is only few dollars cheaper at $128.99.
 
spaceman said:
ROFL how is $210 high dollar? the cost of that dac and an x-fi extreme is still LESS than the top of the line x-fi and it kicks the donkey poop out of it all day all night!

for music the x-fi SUCKS period.

spaceman said:
period. anyone not tone deaf would agree that the musicality of that combo is IN FACT far superior in every aspect. that's not an opinion man it's the truth.

nuff said tho agree or not that's the opinion of it.


Absolute bollocks. I prefer to use other soundcards for music for connectivity / balanced options, etc. But if you had to have one card to do everything, I've not come across anything better than an Elite Pro. It does games, music playback, HT and dabbling in music production all fairly decently. Adding a mediocre DAC will not do much, except perhaps add the Head-Fi Placebo Effect.
 
Back
Top