Best card for gamer / musician

Tzeentch

n00b
Hey people.

I need a recommendation. I want to buy a new audio card. I currently have a Nforce4 motherboard with onboard audio. It's pretty good, but in game I sometime get small stutters, I never got my microphones (tried more than one) to work, and it's not asio.

I'm a gamer first, a musician second (at least when it comes to buying a new audio card). I've been looking at buying a Audigy 2 Zs Plat pro. And even won one on ebay, but seller didn't want to sell it to me (maybe I got too good a deal on it...anyway).

Is this a good choice? Are there other options I should consider? I want it to have very low latency for ASIO and be an excellent gamer card. I'm not a professional musician, so I don't think I need all the bell and whistle of the more expensive audigy 4 pro and x-fi pro (all I really want is the low ASIO latency on the musician side of the card).

Thanks!

Why not get two sound cards? One for sound quality and recording, and one for games?

I'm in the same position. Mostly gaming, with music recording as well.

I got the X-Fi Platinum, which seems to offer the best bang for the buck from all the research I've done. Haven't yet installed it, but I'll post feedback once I spend some time with it in games and audio recording.

Gavinfoxx said:
Why not get two sound cards? One for sound quality and recording, and one for games?
What he said - an Audigy 2 for the games, and something more professional-oriented for the music. Check out Zzounds' catalog for some suggestions; they're a good place to buy from unless you find it a lot cheaper elsewhere.

For the games go with an audigy, for the recording go with a Juli@ or Emu0404 or 1212

well i dont have a hi end game card... but i do do alot of recording.... for recording on a budget get a platinum card from creative... the RCA in's on the breakout have a pretty nice response, but you need a board for preamps... M-audio makes some cards with XLR ins that arent to bad.... but for the best lower price (not a digi) recordign cards go with an Echo Layla or Gina... i have a feeling that the card can do about whatever you want in games as well.... Getting something with with really good inputs is the key, and if you can afford it XLR ins with built in preamps is the way to go... we all know what the gamer cards can do... what do you want to do on the recording in (ie 1 mic, multiple mics, keyboard, guitar, etc....)

Footer4321 said:
we all know what the gamer cards can do... what do you want to do on the recording in (ie 1 mic, multiple mics, keyboard, guitar, etc....)

The main reason is to be able to play and record the guitar. Eventually I'd probably like to add mic and maybe keys. And also, none of that professionaly. I don't think I ever will want to record professionally.

On my other computer I have a creative live! 5.1 plat. That's when I started plugging in my guitar. It doesn't have Asio though, so it's pretty frustrating, but I still was able to use the eax preset to have fun. So now I'd like a card that can do Asio so I can record and monitor in real time.

Tzeentch said:
The main reason is to be able to play and record the guitar. Eventually I'd probably like to add mic and maybe keys. And also, none of that professionaly. I don't think I ever will want to record professionally.

On my other computer I have a creative live! 5.1 plat. That's when I started plugging in my guitar. It doesn't have Asio though, so it's pretty frustrating, but I still was able to use the eax preset to have fun. So now I'd like a card that can do Asio so I can record and monitor in real time.

Get the Audigy 2ZS. The Audigy 2 ZS can record nicely. I've recorded Guitar, Bass and Keyboard tracks with it. It's ASIO 2.0 and Full Duplex as well. The card's sound effects are made for Guitars. Find a good deal in the deals section (sticky at the top of the forum). Many can be had for about $40. At one time they had refurbs for $39. Stronger AMPs and Speakers will become more important, in fact, very good Heaphones might be a better move when recording.

Donnie27

Gah, am I the only one who originally read the thread title as best card for a gay / lesbian?

NulloModo said:
Gah, am I the only one who originally read the thread title as best card for a gay / lesbian?
well finding a card that can play both rock anthems and show tunes it very hard to find....

Gavinfoxx said:
I wouldn't recommend the two-card approach, given it only adds complexity and potential driver problems. I had an Audigy 2 and an Emu 0404 for this same reason (gaming & music recording). I have sold the 0404 and will sell my Audigy 2 since I picked up the X-fi. The X-fi has equivalent DACs to the Emu 0404 so I'm not losing any audio quality by upgrading to it.

Plus, it should sound even better than the Audigy 2 in BF2, HL2, etc...

I would recommend the X-fi Platinum if you can afford it. In the end, it'll even be cheaper than a two-card solution without the potential compatibility problems.

please... he's happy with the onboard sound.. get an X-FI or Audigy 2 ZS if u want cheap.... the audigy 2 zs kills the onboard in everything.. no doubt he will be more than happy with it..

Back