• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best card for $350 range?

Movieesa

Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
673
Was looking at getting a new card this weekend in Canada. My budget is around $350 dollars. Just curious what would be my best option in your opinions? The site I usually use is ncix.com.
Thank you so much for your input.
 
GTX 580 or HD 7870. They are around same price with rebates. GTX is a little faster. HD will be 133W cheaper and quieter to run and probably equal GTX when both are OCed since it has more headroom.

But really both are overpriced compared to deals on GTX 570 for $100 cheaper for just a little performance hit.
 
If you can wait for the 680 launch, I'd do so since it looks like it will probably be soon. Not because you'll want a 680, but because it may lower prices on existing cards a bit.
 
You might be able to get 2 HD 6950s for 400$, given that you find a good deal (got mine for 180$).

Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't look like they are going to be many new cards around the corner any time soon, what with AMD and nVidia releasing their mid-range cards as high-end. So, I'd go with an HD 7950.
 
There is a HIS 7950 for $400 at NCIX (no rebate. GTX 680 already impacting street prices?). There are no 7850/7870s yet in stock there.

But a better deal in terms of price/performance is probably one of the $250-290 (after rebate) GTX 570s.

I'd wait the week and see if the GTX 680 has an impact on prices. There actually hasn't been much price drop over the year except for the 580. I remember looking for a card a year ago and saw a GTX 570 for $290 (after rebate) but ended up buying the 560ti for $210 (no rebate and some bundled games). 6950 was ~$260 (after rebate) then as well.
 
Thank you for the information. I may wait it out or if I really get the itch I will go the 570 route. Some of the 560's are really cheap and I almost wonder if it is worth it just to sli them?
 
depends on your resolution in my opinion.. if you are at 1080p or lower a single GTX 560TI is a very good option for its price. if you at gaming at 2560x1600 the 7870 is a good option for its performance and power usage.
 
I managed to snag a GTX 580 locally for 260 from Kijiji in Toronto. Look around less competitive or cheapskate forums (cough, redflagdeals, cough). Craigslist and Kijiji are great, just be careful and use your head as there are some scammers around.

OCs quite well too!
 
Back
Top