• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Capture Software [?]

dangfx

Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
707
Hello all,

I am looking to capture some video (from TV, for my own posterity :) ). It will be regular SDTV, and I'll probably wind up putting them to DVD.

My question is which would be the best solid, reliable, and fully-featured capture software I can use? I am looking for something that will work with my BFG 7800GTX (but I may buy a dedicated capture card like a Kona or something later on, so I'd like something that's fully compatible).

thanks!
:)
 
Langford, i have vdub... although capture mode doesnt seem to work very well at all. I only see the first few frames and then the image stops moving... audio seems ok, but i get lots of lost frames.... :(
 
dangfx said:
Langford, i have vdub... although capture mode doesnt seem to work very well at all. I only see the first few frames and then the image stops moving... audio seems ok, but i get lots of lost frames.... :(

It works well for me, but I don't know how it will react with your system. What kind of CPU usage are you seeing?
My SS51g is a few years old, it's got a 2.8-P4, a gig of RAM, and a GeForce 4600 with Vivo. I keep my system running pretty lean. I usually only loose a couple of frames a session, and my CPU usage hovers between 16 and 19 percent while recording.

Some things that can cause frame-loss are wifi devices working in the background, picasa, fragmented record drive, screen saver, and any intensive background app. Also, you can loose frames if your drive just can't keep up. I use a software raid striped partition across two drives to record, and have two page files set to go to small partitions on the ends of my two drives. Using huffyuv while recording has about a third of the disk usage that raw record does.
 
well, i just tried it without the audio preview enabled (so, i just see video previewing). seems to capture fine... even uncompressed.

is there any way to make it so that i can preview both audio AND video?

(oh, and nothing really was running... CPU usage was at about 15%, and i'm capturing to two 74GB 10Krpm Raptor drives in RAID0... so i'm thinking its a software issue??)
 
dangfx said:
well, i just tried it without the audio preview enabled (so, i just see video previewing). seems to capture fine... even uncompressed.

is there any way to make it so that i can preview both audio AND video?

(oh, and nothing really was running... CPU usage was at about 15%, and i'm capturing to two 74GB 10Krpm Raptor drives in RAID0... so i'm thinking its a software issue??)

My vid is in overlay mode, but my audio is almost always muted; It didn't cause any problems, I just didn't want the noise (I have my TV in the same room). I wonder if your system is processing your audio before outputting it. My system just does pass-through when my audio is on. Your disks are better than mine, so maybe it is software. I'm thinking audio drivers; do you have any settings to use "room effects" or anything like that? That might take up some cpu cycles, and would be a high-priority process that could interupt recording.
 
no, no effects are on. Besides, my other capturing software i've tried dont have this audio problem.
 
dangfx said:
no, no effects are on. Besides, my other capturing software i've tried dont have this audio problem.

How about the compression settings. Did you set Virtualdub to use PCM or MP3 or other? I use PCM.
 
i'm using PCM.


I've now installed ProCoder... and would like to use it in vdub. But when i check out the compression diologue, i see no "procoder" or "mpeg2" there... just DivX Pro, Windows Media 9, and no compression.

what gives?
 
dangfx said:
i'm using PCM.


I've now installed ProCoder... and would like to use it in vdub. But when i check out the compression diologue, i see no "procoder" or "mpeg2" there... just DivX Pro, Windows Media 9, and no compression.

what gives?

Virtualdub will only use directshow codecs. Mpeg2 ins't there because it's not a directshow codec, and it also implies a file container other than AVI. AVI is what virtualdub uses. If you had VirtualdubMod you would be able to read mpeg2, but probably still not write to it.
 
ah, thank you :)

well, I think i wont use vdub then, for now. I'd like something that can go directly to DVD format......
 
dangfx said:
ah, thank you :)

well, I think i wont use vdub then, for now. I'd like something that can go directly to DVD format......

Understandable. On the rare occasions I want to make a DVD, I usually used Nero. I start by recording, editing, and filtering uncompressed in Virtualdub, then use Nero to turn it into a DVD.
 
You could use Vdub to frameserve the captured video into your encoder of choice (CCE, Procoder, etc)...Anything that will accept a .vdr file - it definately works with CCE (Basic - $60 fyi), not sure about the others..TMPGenc (plus not XPress) may/may not work as it's not officially supported (has it's own frameserver that I don't like).
 
Back
Top