• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Cans for around $200

Mr. Miyagi

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
2,982
I've seen this question a lot, but I still have some questions.

I mostly listen to trance/techno/dance so bass is a must.
I would like to use it directly off my sound card (Audigy 2 ZS Notebook)
I've been trying to read about amps but I'm a little "cloudy" about them. Would an amp from the sound card to the headphones be best? (I would rather run directly off the card though)
I do play games, so I'm looking for some good headphones for games.
I was reading about some headsets here and the soundcard with "virtual surround" appealed to me. If I buy the Icemat soundcard with a headset, would I recieve better positional sound?

I've been looking at the Senn 555, 580, 595 and Shure E3G (are these good for the money?).

Sorry if I'm unclear in some areas. If you would like me to explain more on something, I'd be more than happy to. I'm interested in audio and would like to learn.

Thank you. :)
 
primarily based upon your need for bass, the fact that its coming straight out of your soundcard, and that you want to play games, for 200$ you will want to get some audio technica ath-a900's. They are fantastic without an amp and don't necessarily need one.

Another great headphone that you didn't mention is the Beyer dt-770. These are often considered the holy bass of headphones. Very strong bass, closed, and you can get a low resistance version that doesn't require an amp.

The other headphones you listed are all open headphones, and so they leak a lot of sound, not always great for gaming, but the 555/595(don't require an amp) are highly acclaimed nevertheless for music/all around use. Hd-580's are definitely the best headphone you listed but require an amp. If you can find an hd-580 for about 140 new off e-bay, and get a pa2v2 portable headphone amp for about 60$, that will be the best setup hands down, but like i said, these are all open headphones, and are not as bass-heavy as you may like.

There are mixed feelings about virual surround headphones, though most people seem to agree that they just don't work properly.

the shures are in ear monitors, they're fantastic headohones, but they aren't particularly bass heavy (its very accurate, just not boomy), and won't produce the wide soundstage that is great for gaming/music.
 
Thank you very much for the suggestions. Would this be a good amp if I was to go for the 580s?

What about the BeyerDynamic DT770? I also heard these were pretty good. Do they need an amp? (also, which one is the low resistance version?)

Edit: Nevermind I just saw your edit. :)
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mr. Miyagi, by low "resistance", I belive he means their impeadence, measured in ohms.

If im not mistaken, the new DT770 (non pro) come in 3 versions. A 600ohm, 250ohm, and 32ohm versions.
If im not mistaken, the DT770pro also had an 80ohm version.

I'de recommend you listen to the DT770pro/DT990pro headphones and compare them to the sennheiser HD595/HD580. I've been happy with my anchient DT990pro's. They are different then the sennheiser's, that's for sure. Check your local pro audio shops and see if they carry any of these headphones. First hand experience is nice to have when purchasing a 200$ headphone.

~Hope this helps
 
Miyagi, the amp that you linked is the one that I was suggesting.

Good luck with your decision.
 
Thanks for the suggestions! :) I'll see if there is a store around here and try it out.

Edit: Damn, the motherboard in my sister's computer just stopped working, is out of warranty and I have to pay for it (because I built it for her) so that's going to put me down around $100.

Is there a good headphone for around $100? Would these be good or if I could find the HD-555s and maybe shell out for the amp later?

Sorry about the change. :(

Bah, I don't know what to do. I think I'll save up again for a new pair like you guys suggested. I'm thinking the DT770 if I can find them @ 80. Ebay only has 1 pair right now. I'll look at www.head-fi.org in a second.

I really appreciate your guy's help though!
 
for 100$ the ath-a500's are fantastic all of the reasons that I said along with the a900.

I didn't recommend them before because your pricepoint was higher, but koss KSC-75's are truly fantastic headphones. They are 14$ from amazon but are comparable to much more expensive headphones. And, with an amp, they only get better and better, and with some very simple mods, can sound even better.

You could get a pair of them now to hold you over untill you can afford the more expensive headphones again (chances are upgraditis will bite)

I recently got a pair of those because I wanted to see what all of the hype was about, and these little critters continue to amaze me as I compare them to much, much, much more expensive headphones. I will probably get another pair just to recable and mod.
 
STAY AWAY FROM HEAD-FI

STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY

(you wallet will thank me later)

p.s. keep in mind you can always buy USED.
 
Yeah, that's why I was scared of purchasing an amp, the DT770 or any high end cans. :p I don't want to get too carried away. ;)
 
Yeah, but Head-fi brings you knowledge. See, now i'm getting that PA2v2 amp for $60 in order to power my soon to be $156 Sennheiser HD580s. Good job on my part lol.
 
grados are ok but IMO a speciality can (rock) for all around i recommend a500/a900 especially if your doing games. I dont like senn house sound. its very laid back. If you have never heard it, take two high quality speakers and hold one up around 1ft away from your ears. You can still hear everything nicely but its really far back, like your in the 3rd row. Now take the A500/A900 or the hd555/595 its like you have those same speakers 3 inches away. Give you a sense your on stage right there with the music.
 
Koss KSC-75 (the $14 ones mentioned by yellafella321) are great headphones for the price and improve TREMENDOUSLY with an amp. (They don't quite become "high-fi" with an amp, but sound very, very respectable). Maybe getting them and pa2v2 is what you need? Will run you about $80.

Otherwise, I second the Audio-technica a500 recommendation. Actually, shipdog.com sells a700s for $122--that's another choice for you to consider. Honestly though, I would wait till I had $200 and go straight for a900s or some Beyerdynamic (770 or 990) ;)

***BASELESS RANT***
I never heard any Senn headphone, but given your music preference and what I heard others say about their sonic signature, you would be better off with some other brand.

EDIT: sp
 
I was pretty much in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I love bass since I mostly listen to electronic music, but I also game, and wanted the "soundstage" to go with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion when it comes out.

I ended up settling on the ATH-A700's after doing my research. This was after looking at reviews only, I didn't listen to any phones before buying (except my roommates Senn HD570).

Overall, I like them a lot. The sound is very clean, and I'm able to pick out things I've never noticed in mixes before. The bass is great, and blows away any headphones I've heard before, but I've really not listened to many headphones so I don't have much to compare to. However, if you're expecting gut rattling bass like from a subwoofer, it won't give you that.

Highs are also very clear, and as most people will say in their reviews, mids are a bid recessed. This does not bother me at all though, since I don't really listen to songs with vocals, especially male vocals. Soundstage is great, can pick out exactly where the sound is coming from.

Here's a review that ends up comparing them to the ATH-A900's and not finding much of a difference: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88115

They are very comfortable to wear for long periods, and look great. My only gripe about them is how big they are. I am currently on spring break and brought them with me on the plane, but found the only effective place to put them while I travelled was hanging from my neck. They are BIG. I am sitting in a coffee shop right now (for the wireless internet), and did not bring them with me because of their size.

The ATH-A900's and ATH-A500's must be imported from japan if you order them online (to my understanding) while the ATH-A700's are part of the "export series" and are readily available at online retailers in the US.

If I were making the choice twice, I'd probably allow myself the chance to listen to both the Beyer DT770s (and higher models) and the ATH-A700 / A900 side by side before making the decision, but not having done all that, I'm VERY pleased with what I ended up with.
 
Grado SR-225's, or save some money and get the SR-125's, not much of a difference between the two except for the price
 
ScHpAnKy said:
Grado SR-225's, or save some money and get the SR-125's, not much of a difference between the two except for the price
He's looking for gaming, which the grados lack soundstage for. Miyagi, you're looking for $100 headphones? If so, get the 555s, but don't bother with an amp, they won't improve that drastically as if say.. the 580/600/650s with one. So if you're short on cash and need a pair of gaming headphones, get the 555s or A500s, depending on if you want open and closed design. As far as amping goes, you should read up on WHY people get amps for high-end headphones, and the term "high impedence" will pop up. good luck on your search
 
No Grado's No Grado's No Grado's No Grado's No Grado's No Grado's No Grado's No Grado's;)
 
vexeus said:
Overall, I like them a lot. The sound is very clean, and I'm able to pick out things I've never noticed in mixes before. The bass is great, and blows away any headphones I've heard before, but I've really not listened to many headphones so I don't have much to compare to. However, if you're expecting gut rattling bass like from a subwoofer, it won't give you that.

much surprise i think your right on this sorta. I think all the higher up ones loose that cheap boomy subwoofer bass that i love so much. Basically as the higher you go up, the more they try to give you nice clean and tight bass which isnt like a sub at all. A500 defeninately has the most boomy bass with impact out of all A series.
 
Were I you, I would grab a set of KSC-75's or KSC-35's and save up. I bought the DT770-80's and I love them. You can't beat the build quality and comfort. The bass on these guys is pretty strong and satisfying. Unfortunately, I was unable to test the A900's, but I did test some HD580's and found these to be more to my taste. Since buying these headphones I have attended a Head-Fi meet and am still quite happy with my choice, which says a lot, especially if you guys saw the massive amount of high-end equipment that was there (the Saratoga/Bay Area meet in CA.)
 
aww crimson, you missed out on ripleys a900 with a1000 pads, i also had my a500s out there as well.
 
Yeah, I was just kind of wandering around. Spent a lot of time just talking, listening to vinyl, and listening to the Mini^3. I didn't really try too many headphones. If I had come accross the A900's or the A500's I definately would have given them a run.
 
Back
Top