Best Buy Settles Age Discrimination Lawsuit

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Best Buy has settled a 2004 age discrimination lawsuit. The accusation was that BB chose to lay off older employees. No mention of the terms at this time.

"The matter has been resolved on a mutual basis," said Stephen Snyder, a Minneapolis attorney who represented the former Best Buy employees. Neither Snyder nor officials at the retailer would comment on the details of the settlement deal approved by a U.S. District Court judge in Minnesota.

It seems like every other week there is something about some best buy lawsuit.

Hope nobody here owns stock in them.

I'm man enough to mention that I own Best Buy stock.

I've held a few thousand shares for a long period of time. I original bought it went it was trading for less than 20 bucks. since then it has been through 3 separate stock splits and pays decent dividends.

So my return on investment has been very good. I also own Exxon Mobile and other stocks that many would say aren't friendly or unethical. Whoopydo. At the end of the day it is about making myself money and getting a good return on my investment. :)

My only recent bad decision was selling off Nvidia when it was selling in the Mid 30's. Now it closed at 42ish and looks stronger than ever. oh well. Live and learn.

Cheers,
Sep

Three of the people i worked with at BB are in on this settlement. Basicly everyone with grey in their hair was shown the door at the same time. What made it even worse was that all three of them had lead their departments in sales and productivity for eons.

they aren't talking about the terms, but the general feeling i got talking to one guy is phat rips of cash.

I have a marketing professor that does professional Ph.D. work with the BestBuy hiring firm "Unicru." I talked to him about it for about 1 hr a while ago. Their practices are very evil. They use psychological neural net algorithm database analysis to decide to hire you or not. My professor said it helps "job retention." I called BS on him and said it was a blatant form of discrimination. He laughed and chuckled.

I have a marketing professor that does professional Ph.D. work with the BestBuy hiring firm "Unicru." I talked to him about it for about 1 hr a while ago. Their practices are very evil. They use psychological neural net algorithm database analysis to decide to hire you or not. My professor said it helps "job retention." I called BS on him and said it was a blatant form of discrimination. He laughed and chuckled.

if your talking about that damn "test" you have to take to get a job there
im with you on that one its total BS

either reinstate their jobs or pay them salary and benefits till retirment age... Ouch.

Back