Best Buy extended warranty on an 80gb ipod

jflail2

Gawd
Is anyone for or against these? I am usually strongly against these "extended warranties" (why in the hell would I warranty a 360 controller), but for something as expensive as this I am actually giving it some consideration.

Its a 60$, 3 year replacement warranty, and I have read about some battery problems with the ipods after about 18 mos or so, so I am torn..........

I normally hate these, b/c it seems like you're just buying a "guaranteed piece of shit" (if I can quote Tommy Boy.) And the fact that they probably make a killing on the 90% of these that are never used drives me nutz.......

But if it is almost inevitable that we are going to have problems down the road, I guess I would rather pay $60 than pay more later to Apple.......

Any thoughts on this?

I'd say get AppleCare for it instead.

It's the same price but only 2 years, but you KNOW it's an Apple warranty, and you don't have to deal with Best Buy's bullshit when trying to get something replaced / fixed.

Interesting, so they give you bullshit after having paid that much for a warranty? As in how?

And thanks for your feedback, gotta keep the woman music happy for many years to come :)

jflail2 said:
Interesting, so they give you bullshit after having paid that much for a warranty? As in how?

And thanks for your feedback, gotta keep the woman music happy for many years to come :)

I bought an extended warranty on my PSP, got it home, opened it. dead screen. (as in no power, at all)

took it back, and they told me that "end user damage" wasn't covered. Huh? It's a day old

so I went to another best buy, and they said "the LCD isn't covered under the warranty, extended or otherwise" what the hell? the shit is defective out of the BOX.

I had to call sony to have it replaced, and it took them 3 damn weeks just to acknowledge that it was ACTUALLY a defect. But I did get a good PSP out of it.

What??? Wow, what a crock. Well thanks for that, my mind is made up now.

Applecare it is....

Consumer reports and other consumer advocacy groups generally recommend to "stay away" from extended warranties. Often times (e.g. BB) once you request warranty service, your contract expires, i.e. you'd need to re-buy it at that point. Also, many items are covered by the manufacturer for the first 12-24 months, so the extended warranty is virtually useless, since you could always get stuff replaced from them.

I do not know about applecare.

The good thing about Best Buy's warranty is that if something happens to your iPod, you can get it replaced with another iPod that costs the same, or less than the one you purchased.

But generally, stay away.

i work at best buy. i knew everyone felt this way, it just goes to show the stupid crap that we have to constantly repeat all day means nothing. i hate retail!

Thanks for all of your input. After further debate/researching/reading your answers, it looks like Apple will replace the battery for 59$, even if its not under warranty......

I am going to pass on padding bestbuy's bullshit pockets.

Thanks again for your help.

yeah don't give you're money to them, I freaking hate that company and so glad i left..... all they care about is themselves and nobody else.. including the people who work so hard to help get that company more money.

Back