Best Buy Card for Photoshop/Office PowerPoint Productivity - New Build

Lumpus

Limp Gawd
Building a new system for my sister to work on. Mostly MS Office/Photoshop - zero gaming.

Searching NewEgg GPUs between $100-150 only got two hits - both RX 470/480 cards. Decent cards - but maybe slightly overkill? Any better suggestions?

/Ryzen 2700X or 3600 system
//has decent Samsung 1080p monitor already
///wish I could wait until 'baby Navi' comes out

Last edited:
I wouldn't even bother with it, unless you are dead set on getting a CPU with no built-in graphics. Processors with built-in graphics will absolutely handle anything your desktop can throw at it, plus it makes system setup easier (and you don't have to worry about someone plugging into the wrong HDMI port and calling you asking why it's not working).

I moved gaming over to a dedicated computer and now have a RX 460 on my Ryzen 1700 main computer, with a 3840x1440 ultrawide monitor and it has zero problems. Bought it off eBay for $60.

So any Intel (aside from the "F" series) or the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G processor with built-in graphics.

I agree .. maybe 2200g or 3200g and get 16gb of DDR4 3200Mhz memory .. then you need a board that will boot from gen2 for 2200g (x470 ) or gen 3 for 3200 which new is maybe ( x570) chipset .

Hmmm... I'll consider this, but from my own experiences doing office stuff (not gaming), I've had my RX 580 rev up before with the fans working above default when doing heavy Photoshop & serious MS Office stuff.

I suppose I could just try board video and see how it works out for her and then run to MicroCenter if it's too slow/jerky.

Photoshop will directly benefit from having an RX 480 in the system as any version of Photoshop above CS6 will use OpenCL to accelerate various effects.

Photoshop will directly benefit from having an RX 480 in the system as any version of Photoshop above CS6 will use OpenCL to accelerate various effects.

Good thought... not much price difference between 470/480 now on NewEgg.
I think she's running CS5.1 right now, but won't swear to it - whatever the last version Adobe released on a disc that didn't require a monthly subscription, because the university wouldn't pay for it.

In that case OpenCL is not supported. I have legacy CS6 and it's only GPU accelerated on CUDA (nVidia) hardware.

Hmmm... I'll consider this, but from my own experiences doing office stuff (not gaming), I've had my RX 580 rev up before with the fans working above default when doing heavy Photoshop & serious MS Office stuff.

I suppose I could just try board video and see how it works out for her and then run to MicroCenter if it's too slow/jerky.

new versions of office are indeed GPU accelerated... however not to the extent you think. Likely your tuning software has it kick on the fans, you don't need much to scroll through a word doc.

Back