• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best budget U320 card?

Vertigo Acid

2(-log[H+])4u
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
12,410
Well my trusty LSI U160 is starting to show some of it's short-comings now that I have multiple U320 SCSI drives, it can't really keep anymore. What is my best bet for a U320 SCSI card. I don't need any RAID features. Am I safe sticking with LSI or will I run into the same issue with multiple drives? or would some other adapter be a better choice. Also note that I only have 66mhz 64bit slots available, so full speed 133mhz PCI-X cards are of no advantage
 
What is the issue you're seeing with multiple drives on the U160 controller? I've seen it running great with many configurations including 15 drive external enclosures. Also, I've seen the LSI U320 controller running great under a full load on both channels.
 
Well, the 3x MAP drives that I just upgraded to burst together to more than 160mb/s, so it's just not enough bandwidth
 
just curious, why do you have 3 drives?

wouldn't it be faster to get a single MAS or MAU drive?
 
I bought a Adaptec 29320r card from newegg yesterday for $180.00, the have the LSI 320 for $147.00. I hope this helps.
 
Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose the Adaptec over the LSI card even though it costs more?
 
UICompE02 said:
Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose the Adaptec over the LSI card even though it costs more?
Because the Adaptec comes with a cable and terminator and the LSI didn't. The cable and terminator cost about $30.00 which about $3.00 less then the whole kit from Adaptec..
 
Sid said:
Because the Adaptec comes with a cable and terminator and the LSI didn't. The cable and terminator cost about $30.00 which about $3.00 less then the whole kit from Adaptec..
Ahh, gotcha. I didn't know you could still even buy the old retail U320 controllers from LSI that didn't include the cables. Actually, I'm surprised that the LSI20320R kit with the cable is more than the one without the cable, since I remember a press release stating the cable kits would cost the same as the previous no cable kits... Weird.
 
Back
Top