Best budget card for lower-end power supplys? Upgrade from GeForce 4 MX 420/Sempron

Svperstar

Limp Gawd
Well my stepfather has been using a GeForce 4 MX 420 PCI on a Duron 1ghz for the past few years and just today he got a new Sempron(sp) 3000+ system and he wants to upgrade his video to a mid range AGP card.

I don't really keep up on the budget cards much so I am not sure what I get. I used a 9700 Pro for 2 years so I was thinking about getting him a 9800 Pro and calling it good, but the new generation of cards may have more longevity.

Also this new computer probably only has a 250 watt power supply so that is a consideration.

So any recommendations?

P.S. I don't care about ATI vs. Nvidia, I use what is best every generation so I have no preference.

Is your dad going to be playing a lot of graphically intense games?

I ran my 6800NU on a 250 watt PSU for almost 4 months with minimal problems. It rebooted on it's own a couple times, but that only happened maybe 3 times in those 4 months. Considering I leave my computer on all the time and play all the most demanding games for hours a day, that's not too bad.

I'd seriously think about replacing the power supply when you upgrade to any newer video card. They're not expensive, and very simple to replace. Its one piece of hardware that shouldn't be neglected, since if it goes it can take your whole computer with it.

That being said, your pop would probably be very happy with something along the lines of a nVidia 6600GT. I would stick with newer gen products if longevity is important.

Back