Best browser for mac?

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I'm really getting sick of safari. It's fast but I don't like how it doesn't save passwords for certain sites, I can't use Web Developer or Firebug because they're firefox plugins.

Firefox always seems laggy, even though I have 4GB of RAM. What do you guys use? Is there an optimized version of firefox available?

Are you using Firefox 3? Check out Beta 4. It's amazing fast and stable for me.

Personally I use Safari for regular browsing, but if compatibility issue arise I switch to firefox. :D

OmniWeb is the shit, for real. It's not the most amazingly fast browser evar, but the feature set is hard to beat. Graphical tabs, workspaces, etc, and they all have the "it just works" factor that Firefox + plugins always lacks.

I've been using Camino since it was at 0.2.4.

Safari is nice, but... eh. It just doesn't feel complete.

Camino works quite well for me.

Have you been able to find a way so that clicking on a link with mouse wheel button opens the tab in the background and not focus on it immediately ?

Also I seem to have issues with the bookmark manager. For example I can't add anything to the very bottom of it because there is no space down there to do so. It just adds it to the folder at the very bottom regardless of if you want it to or not.

Only issues I have found with camino.

I switch around a lot, WebKit, Safari, Firefox 3b4, I haven't really caught the Camino or Opera bug yet, neither have really done it for me.

I'd say I'm in Firefox the most though, especially now that it's got a Mac-like theme

I go back and forth between Safari and Firefox. Honestly, you aren't going to find anything better out there. I feel your pain, though...I have some qualms with Safari (like how I can't get it to open links in a new tab automatically! WTF?) and I also hate how the current stable build of Firefox is laggy as shit. Granted, I think Firefox will become MUCH better with build 3...the memory problems will be all but solved, and I think that alone is going to make a vast improvement in the web browsing experience.

For now though, I'm pretty much loving Safari. So fast. So clean. Almost perfect, minus a few issues.

What I really love about Safari as opposed to FF on the Mac is that when I go to a website (such as my school's site) and need to look at PDF's or something else that would open in Preview...with Safari I click on it and it just opens in my browser, with Firefox, I have to click on it, Save it and then it opens in Preview. Kind of annoying.

I really love Camino, and I've added a lot of functionality with the stuff on pimpmycamino.com.

I also keep whatever the latest Firefox build is around for any compatibility issues.

I use both Firefox 2 and Safari 3.1 I actually surprisingly like Safari, it just feels like there's something missing to me, but most of the time I use Safari, occasionally, there will be something that doesn't work on Safari, so I switch to Firefox.

This is the age old question.

I have always stuck with Safari until now. Firefox 3 Beta 4 is the best browser there is right now. Hopefully it will get even better once its finalized.

Out of curiosity, how can people stand Safari? My problem is that it renders pages so incredibly slowly compared to other browsers.

I have used it on many different macs new and old, and it has always been much slower.

I would recommend Firefox or Opera personally.

you obviously haven't used Safari 3.1 or just plain old Webkit (the framework/app behind Safari), the Webkit nightlies have tweaks that still aren't even in Safari 3.1 but regardless, Safari 3.1 is really fast even compared to FF

Out of curiosity, how can people stand Safari? My problem is that it renders pages so incredibly slowly compared to other browsers.

I have used it on many different macs new and old, and it has always been much slower.

I would recommend Firefox or Opera personally.

Weird. Safari is scary fast for me, which is what keeps me using it for regular browsing. (Well, that and Stand, GreaseKit, PithHelmet, and TwiceTab. ;) ) I still use Firefox for some stuff, though.

I agree that Safari is fast for me when it comes to normal websites. Normal being mostly text and pics, no flash and java.

But When I start needing heavy Java/Flash such as Stickam.com, Youtube or anything with live video, it becomes just horrible and unusable.

Firefox was this way on the mac platform UNITL FF3 Beta 4. They seem to have corrected the problem :)

Regardless Java and Adobe Flash still suck under OSX and could be much better

USMC, I agree. Java and Flash I think are both underperformers on OSX, as I can't watch YouTube videos on a 600mhz iBook G3 with 640MB RAM and OSX 10.4, however on my old 600mhz PC laptop, it worked fine with Youtube, so I just think that the problem is with Flash on OSX. Hopefully, Adobe will do something about it soon.

I like Safari a lot. I just switched from Firefox to Safari actually. I use 1password to handle my passwords so I actually have all the password saving stuff in Safari turned off. 1password does it all.

why is it they just cant come out with one that works well with flash and java and overall just not hang and suck. Anyone else have problems with their browsers just hanging and not doing anything?

I just tried Firefox 3b4... Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!! :D

Firefox 3b4 is the first generation of Firefox that doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time to actually open on my 2GHz/2GB ram Macbook. Safari's always been snaptastic in opening if not the browser experience I have come to expect from Firefox. That said, until 3b4, Firefox on my Mac was flaky as all come out, randomly crashing all the time.

3b4 crashes more than Safari but it's fast, featured, and reasonably supported. Before 3b4, I was essentially doing a round robin with Opera, Safari, and Firefox but now I've actually settled on Firefox as the winner. Also, my understanding was that Camino was optimized for PPC machines, and that it's not really any better than Firefox on Intel-Macs?

Back