best brand of nvidia card?

khitsicker

n00b
its been a while since i bought an nvidia card but it looks like im going to have to replace my current card an x800xt and go with a pci-e setup. i am wondering what the best brand is. ive heard alot about bfg but looking round the forums seems people are having to rma a lot of them. xfx sems to be cheaper then most other brands but i havent heard of them before. any help wouldbe appreicated.

i havent had any problems with my XFX yet. not sure how they are on customer support and rma's. lets just hope i wont have to find out :D

evga and xfx are the two brands to buy
xfx is a little bit cheaper, and their appeal is double lifetime warranty, meaning if u sell a card to a friend, that person can also have a lifetime warranty, or you can buy a used card and also get a lifetime warranty (if it was only used once before).
evga has a lifetime warranty, and their appeal is, besides quality products, the step-up program

meaning you buy your card from an authorized retailer (newegg is one of them), and you get 90 days to, essentially sell back your old card and get a new card. So if a newer, better model came out within 90 days after your purchase, you could trade your card in, for the price you paid on your invoice, and get that as credit towards the purchase of a new card (through evga).

evga has great customer support as well. I have no experience with xfx.

evga huh. ive played around with some of thier cards and i wasnt impressed. maybe ill give htem a second look. lol last time i bought an nvidia card it was a creative labs annihilator pro. geforce 256 i think. later traded it for an asus geforce 2 gts.

well what weren't you impressed about? the chip itself or the quality of the card?
because a card made from one company usually doesn't perform different, maybe a frame or two every second. brand quality is determined by how often a card doesn't work right, and how good customer support is.

I thought Evga's Step Up program was only honored on card purchased directly from their sight at rediculously high prices. Am I wrong? I really don't think you can do it through newegg. Maybe you can buy it from newegg and have to then pay Evga their ripoff retail prices to get the new card (from them of course). I wish their was more clarity on this.

scwam said:
I thought Evga's Step Up program was only honored on card purchased directly from their sight at rediculously high prices. Am I wrong? I really don't think you can do it through newegg. Maybe you can buy it from newegg and have to then pay Evga their ripoff retail prices to get the new card (from them of course). I wish their was more clarity on this.

You can buy the original card from any retail store, but the step-up card has to be purchased thru eVGA. It is in their FAQ.

Also, the XFX warrenty doesn't allow for after market coolers, eVGA's single lifetime warranty does.

The XFX card looks really appealing but I noticed something when I was talking to a friend about it.

Why in the hell is the card using a 4-pin molex as power?

Aren't the PCI-E cards supposed to be using female PCI-E power connectors?!!!?!?!

I know its not that big of a deal but if you have an SLI certified PSU that doesn't make any sense for a video card maker to be equipping 7800GT boards with that kind of power.

WTF XFX?!

buy the one without the molex, the ones with dont seem to clock as well as the others

and yes you must buy the step up from evga, for example the 7800gt on there site still costs $450, tell me if thats worth it or not

hmm well i dunno theres a dead evga card in the shop i work in right now. and i dont like the cooler.i guess the decision now is either get a 7800 gt now and another one to sli later or get a gtx now and live with it.

evga and xfx are practically the same, xfx clocks a bit higher for the same price i believe, but also ive heard a few reports of their cards dying. evga seems to be a more polished company in my eyes but its totally subjective

Well let me put it like this...If your bfg card dies...Dont be suprised if they ship you back a dead refurb....They shipped me one refurb that was obviously burnt up...Like you could smell it across the room....So yeah...And the heatsink looked like it had been dropped in a mud puddle....Now my best friend has an evga in his rig and never had a problem with it...So that's who I went with was evga this time around....

Back