Best books for learning AD?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I would like to learn how to install/manage AD. What are the best books/videos to learn this?

Reading about it in a book isn't going to help other than basic theory. The best thing you're going to be able to do is to take 2 computers and download a demo of Server 2012. Install the OS on a computer and follow the guides online on how to set up AD.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh472162.aspx#BKMK_GUI

Install Windows on the other box and join it to the domain. Learn how to create users and OU then move the computer to the OU. Apply group policy objects to the workstation. Then look at adding other basic roles like WSUS, File Services, and Print Services and read about the features and test them.

Doing it hands on with a workstation that can be wiped and reinstalled as much as you need to get it right is the absolute best way to learn.

I agree, books for learning AD are going to be pretty much useless. Hands on is the only way to do it.

Do some Google searches if you end up needing help on specific things with AD.

I would argue and say the books are a good stepping stone into AD if you absolutely know nothing about it. I would only use the books for concepts though. To become proficient in AD, it is hands on from the rest

As others have mentioned, once you know the concepts, its a hands on system to learn the rest. I seen so many "AD certified" users who have crammed the books and totally jack up a domain, its not even funny.

Read the books for the concepts and then work on many lab simulations to learn it. You can use VMware Player/Workstation on a decent modern workstation with tons of memory to stand up two AD controllers and a workstation VM.

While Server 2012 is the latest OS, my recommendation would be to start at Server 2008. Throw in a domain upgrade in the mix and go from Server 2008 to Server 2012. The differences between the OS's when it comes to AD is minor for learning and 2008 will be more than sufficient for a starting point.

A book is only going to come in handy if you know absolutely nothing about AD.

If you already have an understanding of the concept of AD then it's time to bust out VMWare Workstation and have at it. Start with a Windows Server 2008 VM and install DNS and Active Directory Domain Services. After that, join a Windows 7 VM to the domain and then create organization units, users, and groups. Then go with group policy objects, WSUS, File and Print services, etc. It's really not that difficult to gain a good understanding of what you're doing.

I would agree hands on is practically the only way to explain the true dynamic nature of the beast.

Back