Best batch media tagging software?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
I have a huge library of video that I've been trying to get imported into iTunes (MP4 video). The problem is that most of them are either missing their meta data tags completely or it's inconsistant (I'm anal like that). I'm wanting for an easy way to go about this.

I've been using/playing around with MetaX and it's a pretty powerful program, but my problem is that it's too 'hands on'. To batch process an entire season of a show, I have to manually search and enter details of each episode not to mention manually select the data I want to apply to each file. It works great, but for hundreds of files, it's way too tedius.

It'd be nice for a program to scrape a TV DB and enter in all that information for me (much like how XBMC or PLEX would retrieve tags for your media collection). Anyone know of anything?

Sorry, I can only offer that I also use <Dan Hinsley> MetaX. You can select multiple videos to apply the same certain fields. So for a complete season I select all the episodes and apply everything to all the shows except the the show ID and number. But ya then you have to go through and do each one indivually for the remaining info.

Unfortionantly from a software perspective I can see where this could be a possible nightmare. You would have to expect a certain naming convention on the video files in order to select which show they match up to. I usually label my videos something like "Great TV Show S1 E10.mp4".

If you want to spend several months learning how to program you could probably make a Perl or Ruby script that gets info from a webpage and then feeds it into a command line capable program. Heres an example of ffmpeg, but you would have to look into it more.

ffmpeg -i in.avi -metadata title="my title" out.flv

The whole problem here though is that your "database" source may not always be right or in the format you want.

Back