Best bang for the buck

Heres the deal i got a new setup an need a best bang for buck nvidia card im coming from an 8800gt an wanna stay in the 250 buck range input is awsome! TY in advance.

My 2 cents.....

Radeon 4850 or splurge for the 4870.

if you go crossfire, two 4850's would be awesome, if your board supports it!

If your motherboard supports SLi then buying another 8800gt would be best bang for your buck since those can be had for like $130 on newegg. If it supports crossfire then Dual HD 4850's would be good running about $150 a peice, and that would be higher performance then the 8800gt SLi. But if you have to go single gpu then HD4870 is best bang for your buck, $295 at newegg.

waiting a 6 months to a year and buying whatever is out in that range. You will be getting fairly incremental performance increases right now.

What kind of board do you have? Dual PCI-E ? Crossfire or SLI? If you have an SLI board then I also recommend another 8800GT .... if you want a budget upgrade anyway.

If your motherboard supports SLi then buying another 8800gt would be best bang for your buck since those can be had for like $130 on newegg. If it supports crossfire then Dual HD 4850's would be good running about $150 a peice, and that would be higher performance then the 8800gt SLi. But if you have to go single gpu then HD4870 is best bang for your buck, $295 at newegg.

And that's comming from someone with driver issues! DO IT! ATi rocks your world. They put more quality into their products. nVidia is just doing what Intel was doing with their P4s. Great clocks, skimpy hardware.

I'd say, if you want the best price and your board is nVidia/SLI go pick up a 9800GTX, if you're board is ATi/CFX then go pick up a 4870. Those are your best options. Price per Performance - ATi hands down. I am an ATi/AMD guy, but I've bought many nVidia cards and motherboards. Also purchased Intel because AMD had their heads in their asses when I decided to buy. So I'm not 100% biased!

I'd say, if you want the best price and your board is nVidia/SLI go pick up a 9800GTX, if you're board is ATi/CFX then go pick up a 4870. Those are your best options. Price per Performance - ATi hands down. I am an ATi/AMD guy, but I've bought many nVidia cards and motherboards. Also purchased Intel because AMD had their heads in their asses when I decided to buy. So I'm not 100% biased!

I will agree with this. If you are budget minded, the single 9800GTX sounds like the better deal. Of course, if you DO have the board to support dual video cards, go with whatever brand it supports and work from there.

See, I'm currently in a dilemna myself. I have a Crossfire board with an 8800GT. If I ever want to run dual cards, I gotta ditch it for some Radeons! Poor planning on my part!

I will agree with this. If you are budget minded, the single 9800GTX sounds like the better deal. Of course, if you DO have the board to support dual video cards, go with whatever brand it supports and work from there.

See, I'm currently in a dilemna myself. I have a Crossfire board with an 8800GT. If I ever want to run dual cards, I gotta ditch it for some Radeons! Poor planning on my part!

Well see you should sell that 8800GT to him if he has SLI and buy a 4850 for 50$ more. I love my 4850, I moved up from a 2600XT 512mb edition and the difference is like night and day. I went from a 7600GT to my 2600XT and I actually think I lost some frames, but I gained the DX10 technology so it was sort of worth it. I was also on an XP OS so that could be some difference in the card.

BUT if you're going to spend the 150$ on a new video card spend the extra 50$ and buy a 9800GTX+ that's the equivalent to a 4850. Well in a way...

Well see you should sell that 8800GT to him if he has SLI and buy a 4850 for 50$ more. I love my 4850, I moved up from a 2600XT 512mb edition and the difference is like night and day. I went from a 7600GT to my 2600XT and I actually think I lost some frames, but I gained the DX10 technology so it was sort of worth it. I was also on an XP OS so that could be some difference in the card.

BUT if you're going to spend the 150$ on a new video card spend the extra 50$ and buy a 9800GTX+ that's the equivalent to a 4850. Well in a way...

I'm actually glad you mentioned this. I was wondering what the difference would be in my 8800GT and a 4850? If the framerate would be noticably better or about the same. My 8800Gt is the 675MHz version so it is really a nice card!

I'm actually glad you mentioned this. I was wondering what the difference would be in my 8800GT and a 4850? If the framerate would be noticably better or about the same. My 8800Gt is the 675MHz version so it is really a nice card!

Well the 4850 whooped up on the 9800GTX so they had to up it a bit. They called it the 9800GTX+. An 8800GT is a nice card, I won't lie. It was a great step for nVidia at the time. A 512mb solution that beats a 640mb card. Also only takes up one component slot. If you have the option to pick up an 8800GT for cheap (cheap being 100$), it might be worth it to go SLI, but a 9800GTX+ isn't much more expensive and the gap in performance is immensive.

$250 is a bit of a tricky price range atm. The 4850 and 9800GTX+ are around $200, and the 4870 and GTX260 are around $300.

The problem is the 4850/9800GTX+ aren't going to give you that much of a performance boost compared to your 8800GT. Check out these charts: http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/9 The 8800GT isn't on there, but the 8800GTX is, and it's only slightly faster than an 8800GT. You'll notice the 9800/4850 really aren't that much faster than the 8800.

I think you should wait till you can afford one of the $300 cards, or wait till they come down in price to $250. Another option would be to SLI another 8800GT, if you have the motherboard and power supply to do it.

Everyone here seems to want to upgrade to the latest thing though, regardless of whether it actually makes a big difference. So I'm sure most people will disagree with me..

$250 is a bit of a tricky price range atm. The 4850 and 9800GTX+ are around $200, and the 4870 and GTX260 are around $300.

The problem is the 4850/9800GTX+ aren't going to give you that much of a performance boost compared to your 8800GT. Check out these charts: http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/9 The 8800GT isn't on there, but the 8800GTX is, and it's only slightly faster than an 8800GT. You'll notice the 9800/4850 really aren't that much faster than the 8800.

I think you should wait till you can afford one of the $300 cards, or wait till they come down in price to $250. Another option would be to SLI another 8800GT, if you have the motherboard and power supply to do it.

Everyone here seems to want to upgrade to the latest thing though, regardless of whether it actually makes a big difference. So I'm sure most people will disagree with me..

Just to word of/for you. Faster isn't really the thing people "go for" when they purchase a new video card. Just as in I bought a 4850 for the technology of the card -or- I would have waited till the 4870. In reality 2 4850's won't be better then a 4870. It will be at a faster process, but in still the 4870 is a better card; because of technology, the shaders, the way it processes, the stream processors, the die size, the nm, other things of the topic. ATi puts out a better card, the "way" it performs and the way it works is much differant then that of an nVidia. Also the reason people pay that extra money for the GTX then the GT is it's a better "quality" card. It has better frame rates at higher resolutions. To say a GT is remotely close in technology to a GTX is crazy. Speeds yeah, but you can clock the crap out of anything and it doesn't really mean it's faster. Or better. So in my eyes this is the reason I bought ATi over nVidia.

8800 GS less than 100 bucks. Thats a really good deal. You could SLI and overclock because they are a really good overclocking card.

Back