Best bang for the buck wireless-N router?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm in the market for a wireless-N router. Currently on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT, which is doing fine, but I'd like to step up to N and hopefully fix some of the wireless streaming issues I'm having with my fiancé's Xbox. My PC and my Xbox is wired and having no issues there.

So what should I be looking for?

TP-Link TL-WDR3600 or TL-WDR4900 depending on your needs of raw processing power.
The TL-WDR3600 runs really well with OpenWRT + LuCI, the WDR4900 supposedly have its stability issues on OpenWRT fixed nowdays.
//Danne

I recommend a NetGear WND3700. Wireless range and signal strength are medium high to excellent. I've got a WND3700 setup at one end of a house and am using a netbook at the other end of the house (~95 feet) and experience no transfer issues even though the signal is going through four rooms.

I recommend a NetGear WND3700. Wireless range and signal strength are medium high to excellent. I've got a WND3700 setup at one end of a house and am using a netbook at the other end of the house (~95 feet) and experience no transfer issues even though the signal is going through four rooms.

I would've agreed with you until recently... I just had my WNDR3700v2 's 2.4 Ghz radio die... The 5GHz radio still works great, but 2.4 GHz signal strength dropped to almost nothing... After the issue occurred, I did some searching... Apparently this is a common problem. Maybe they've fixed the issue in newer models, but the problem was annoying enough that now I'm a bit hesitant to recommend the router to others.....

The WNDR3700 is pretty much an overpriced WDR3700 by TP-Link, the Netgear one (hw rev 4) does have more flash but there's no 3rd party firmware for it so you're stuck with vendor fw. Older models (revisions) have older hardware which just doesn't make any sense to get nowdays.
//Danne

I'm using the ASUS Dark Knight router and it KICKS BUTT.. Previously I was using the N56U which was also a great router and pretty cheap now-adays. I'd say pickup a nice N56U if your on a budget.

Under $100

asus rt-n16 with Easy Tomato
TP-link TL-WDR3600

You could go with a Netgrear WNDR3800 but I'd consider it a step down from the two units listed above.

You'd be much better off with the WDR4900 by TP-Link than the WNDR3800.
//Danne

You'd be much better off with the WDR4900 by TP-Link than the WNDR3800.
//Danne

Where did you find the WDR4900 under $100? Most of what I see is $150+

I can find the WNDR3800 for under $100.

In respect for the OP lets use Apples to Apples comparisons, or at least list the available price for recommended routers.

It's well below 100 in .eu , sorry for that...
The WDR3800 isn't really better than the WDR3600 since it uses an older SoC which includes CPU, WIFI and switch.
//Danne

Back