Best bang for the buck processor?

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
What processor out there provides the best bang for the buck? My last c2d cpu was an e6300 that OC'd like crazy. Are there any specific processors out there that can be overclocked like mad or can have cores unlocked or something to make them a great deal? I'm building a new system soon and want to build it with budget performance in mind.

I would not recommend any dual core processors as 'best bang for the buck' in the modern era of processors. Dual core processors have been shown to bottleneck high end video cards in modern games.

You'll want at least a quad-core. A tri-core that might unlock to quad could also be worth it (IE X3 720 BE but only if you can find for $99 or less). AMD has also released a very competitive line of Hexacore processors that competes well with i5/i7 quads for gaming.

For Intel I'd say i5-750, i7-920, i7-930 offer great bang for the buck.

For AMD X4 940 BE, X4 955 BE, or 1055T Hexacore are all nice values and offer 4 or more cores.

When shopping for AMD cpus be careful to make sure that it corresponds to the motherboard. Because some AMD cpus are labeled identically except that some have 95W TDP and others 125W TDP and some mobos can't handle AMD 125W cpus. Also make sure whether the cpu has socket AM2+ or AM3 and which socket cpu the motherboard supports.

You can read here about socket compatibility. But if in doubt just buy both AM3 mobo and AM3 socket cpu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2+

Last edited:
Well personally I'd take i3 530@4,4 any day against X3 that didn't unlock

+1 for the 530/661/670 - These are the modern day 8400/8500/8600 cpu's. These new dual cores overclock like stink without the heat issues of the older warriors. ;)

I also forgot to mention the Athlon x4 propus line, which offers quad cores without the L3 level cache for a lot lower price. You can get an X4 620 propus for under $100 from the egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...103706&cm_re=athlon_x4-_-19-103-706-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103702&cm_re=propus-_-19-103-702-_-Product

This 635 is actually $1 cheaper when you factor in shipping. \

Unfortunately dual core cpu's just don't cut it anymore. A triple core will soon not be enough either.

I would not recommend any dual core processors as 'best bang for the buck' in the modern era of processors. Dual core processors have been shown to bottleneck high end video cards in modern games.

I'd heard just the opposite - that almost no modern games can utilize more than 2 cores, most not more than 1. Maybe my info is dated. Please cite the source of this statement.

Intel Core I5 750
Intel Core I7 930
AMD Phenom II X2 550

Any one of those would serve you very well.

Intel needs to get some 32nm quads out on the market... that aren't retarded expensive Xeons

I'd heard just the opposite - that almost no modern games can utilize more than 2 cores, most not more than 1. Maybe my info is dated. Please cite the source of this statement.

Dragon Age is the first example that comes to mind...I recently upgraded from a dual core to a quad core (specs in sig), didn't change anything else...and my framerates in Dragon Age jumped on average between 15-20%. I use a little CPU monitor gadget on my second monitor, and while playing Dragon Age, all four cores are working at around 60-70%...before, with my dual core, both cores were pegged at 99%. Not sure about other games out there, but Dragon Age significantly benefits from a quad core.

Source: personal experience.

all depends on how lazy the game developers are and how old of an engine they are using.. majority of games now take advantage of 2 cores and a few take advantage of 3 or 4 like GTAIV and a few other console ports.. then you have games that are clock whores like supreme commander 1 and FA expansion, along with crysis where higher clocks are far more important then the amount of cores available..

I am a fan for life of the i3-530. 4ghz without trying on a mini-ixt system using a cheapo $80 ECS motherboard.. 5ghz is possible with a decent MB + water. Caught mine at micro center for $100. With hyperthreading it shows up in windows as 4 cores.

I pull better gaming benchmarks then a co-worker running a 750 oc'd to 3.6ghz using the same model video card (different manufacturer though). Bang per buck I don't think there is a better deal.

Here my i3 530.

CrysisMax4890GPU.jpg

Back