Best bang-for-the-buck 27" gaming monitor out now

Riccochet

Fully [H]
Looking for the best bang for the buck 27" gaming monitor out now. I don't watch movies on my computer, have a 65" for that, and besides surfing the internet it will mostly be used for gaming. That's it. I don't need crazy black levels, BLB doesn't bother me so much since I focus on the game not the damn monitor. And not really interested in spending $1000+

Seems every time I ask this question I get a shit load of "wait for this monitor" or "wait for this to come out" responses, but never a "this is what you're looking for" answer. I want to buy tomorrow, not months from now.

27"
2560x1440
GAMING ONLY

Don't be concerned with what I'll be driving it with. Video cards. Several of them. Capable ones.

Seriously, the world of monitors these days is as confusing as dividing by zero. And it seems every thread that asks this questions is replied to with a shit ton of "why don't you wait for X product or Z technology". So, please, I just need suggestions for monitors that are out and available for purchase now. Thanks! :)

Absolute best bang for buck?

QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 (DVI-only version) overclocked to approx. 120Hz

If you don't mind a 1920x1080 resolution or a TN panel, the ASUS VE278H is a great option. It has a max refresh rate of 144Hz and can do Lightboost at 120Hz, if input lag and ghosting are a concern. It can be found now for $250 or less. If you're concerned about color reproduction there are IPS panels out now that can do 120Hz with input lag similar to a non-Lightboost TN panel for a little more money (~$300).

Yep. if you want 2560x1440, either Qnix 2710 or x-star, then overclock it.

Either will cost around $300 on ebay.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star

The actual 120hz lcds sold to the american public by samsung, etc, are only 1920x1080.
Someday they will give us a Qnix equivalent, but it will probably cost $450-$550.

Someday very soon:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800408

I know you said you don't want to wait, but this monitor might be the one to wait for.
1440p
120/144hz
GSync
$800
March-ish

If you don't mind a 1920x1080 resolution or a TN panel, the ASUS VE278H is a great option. It has a max refresh rate of 144Hz and can do Lightboost at 120Hz, if input lag and ghosting are a concern. It can be found now for $250 or less.

Newegg has $40 off this monitor currently (~$210) until 2/15 if you are looking at this one in particular

Someday very soon:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800408

I know you said you don't want to wait, but this monitor might be the one to wait for.
1440p
120/144hz
GSync
$800
March-ish

Yeah, that just doesn't seem worth it for $800 when, as mentioned, I can get the Qnix for ~$300ish and overclock it. Hell, I could get two of the Qnix for less than one of those.

And, as mentioned, I'm buying tomorrow. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like the Qnix is the best route for me right now.

Can I ask for advice on this monitor (Qnix) with your attention -- for non gaming? I keep reading conflicting reports on if it will work with my old EVGA 9800 GT (512mb Memory).

Frankly my eyes are just bleeding doing office work and I don't play TF2 or Minecraft much anymore.

I want to buy this monitor and simply have it work and look nice.

If I have to replace the VGA card I'll need a new mobo. If I have to replace the mobo I'll need a new CPU. Memory... ack!

I don't want to spend $1500 building a new rig YET.

I just want to plug and play this monitor into my 9800GT PCI x16 old card and have it look nice UNTIL sometime next year when I go nuts and replace everything else.

I want to buy my "future best value gaming monitor" today, and use it with my old crappy rig, and then replace the rig later.

But will it function properly with my old rig for basic office tasks, photoshop, minecraft, etc.?

Can I ask for advice on this monitor (Qnix) with your attention -- for non gaming? I keep reading conflicting reports on if it will work with my old EVGA 9800 GT (512mb Memory).

Frankly my eyes are just bleeding doing office work and I don't play TF2 or Minecraft much anymore.

I want to buy this monitor and simply have it work and look nice.

If I have to replace the VGA card I'll need a new mobo. If I have to replace the mobo I'll need a new CPU. Memory... ack!

I don't want to spend $1500 building a new rig YET.

I just want to plug and play this monitor into my 9800GT PCI x16 old card and have it look nice UNTIL sometime next year when I go nuts and replace everything else.

I want to buy my "future best value gaming monitor" today, and use it with my old crappy rig, and then replace the rig later.

But will it function properly with my old rig for basic office tasks, photoshop, minecraft, etc.?

yes

Back