Best bang-for-buck UPS for home?

I have used various brands over the years and my best recommendation is always to buy an APC within your price range. The more you spend the longer your computer will run before the batteries die.

350va isn't enough to run a modern PC IMHO. 900VA, probably a better option.

I agree with the above poster's recommendation for APC, they make solid UPSs.

Personally, I am running a 1500va Belkin unit which haven't given me any problem and seems to work quite well for my needs. I can get ~15 minute run time with my gaming rig (27" monitor + 19" monitor) + network equipment + PIII 800 server. If I turn the gaming rig off, and just run the server and network equipment, it can last indefinitely it seems. I already had it run for over 2+hrs once without actually shutting down.

Here is the one I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101225&Tpk=belkin 1500va

Look around, I didn't pay what is posted on Newegg's website and I live in Canada...

Take a look around for UPS places selling reconditioned or recertified units, particularly with replaced batteries. You can save cash and get a higher grade unit.

All APC UPSs aren't created equal. I bought a used SmartUPS SU1400NET (true sine wave, line interactive) back in 2000 or so. It runs workstation, monitor, servers, 24-port switch, router, VoIP TA etc...etc.... with networked monitoring and shut down software etc... It has a hotswap replaceable battery which I've replaced twice (just did the second one).

If you're in Canada, I've been pretty happy dealing with ExcessUPS (www.excessups.com) for reconditioned stuff.

I got a Cyber Power CP1350AVRLCD on Friday (1/16) for my sig. rig and other things, and so far I'm very happy with it. I unplugged the UPS to test and it performed as expected. Software runs fine on XP. Not sure about Vista, and I'll probably try it on Windows 7 soon.

Back