"best bang for buck" priced between $100 - $150

That sucker is $148 + shipping after MIR, a DAMN fine deal for a 7600 GT. I remember it took almost a year before the 6600 GT hit that price point.

Alternatively, if that is too expensive, you can pick up a 7600 GS for around $120. It is around %60 the performance of the 7600 GT, and it is passively cooled.

Yeah either will do but i say the 7600gt is better.

Will you buy a car from yesterday or a car today?

ep1taph said:
There have been a lot of people going for reburbisehd X850XT's at newegg recently. If HL2 performance is of large importancy to your friend, perhaps looking at one of those may be worth it. I will link to a thread where they are discussing them:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1053390

Not worth it. The 7600 GT is about as fast as the x850 XT - why the hell do you think prices on the x850-series have crashed like a rock? Sure, it is hard to find a review that does both card, but you can look at two different reviews:

x850 XT, Half-Life 2

7600 GT, Half-Life 2

As you can see, they're neck-and-neck. The 7600 GT comes with SM 3.0, plus transparency AA. It also costs less than a REFURB for a NEW 7600 GT.

I said "perhaps" in my post.

Also, a new 7600GT can be had, at BEST for $158.99 with a $10 rebate and that is a weekend special. A refurbished X850XT comes in as low as $135.00.

Most people will come to the concensus that the 7600GT is simply better since it's newer, more featured in many aspects and a single-slot solution.

The author of the thread asked for something "cheaper" than the 7600GT and I made a suggestion. I never claimed one card was superior to the other.

If it was me, I would go for a 7600GT. I do not know what his friend would do.

Although I agree that a refub x850xt is nice and cheap and the poster above had good intentions (he did ask for people to suggest cards), I really don't see the downside to that 7600GT. It's got more features, performs better than a 6800Ultra, and it's within his pricerange after a small MIR. Even if the guy doesn't want to mail in the rebate, that's still an insanely cheap 7600GT, with arguably the best warranty out there, and it's only $8 more initially.

Moral of the story is this: if your buddy is too damn scroogy to shell out an extra $8, then I'm sure he'd be scroogy enough to send in for a $10 MIR, putting the price into his pricerange. I say the 7600GT is the best option.

If he really just wants something that will run the game decently (i.e. nothing looking to play future games with) then the FS/FT forums is where it's at.

1337m0dd3r said:
sapphire x800gto2 and flash to x850xt
16pp all for $158

Or he could get a 7600GT for the same or less (after MIR) and have the same performance with more features and a warranty.

if you plan to get the 7600 gt(s) i suggest the xfx xxx extreme version. that's sucker is extremely fast and powerful for it's price. well worth it.

Back