I've got 8 individual drives that I need backed up 1:1 to another set of 8 drives in a virtual machine. What's the best way of doing so?
I was thinking setting up 2 virtual machines, one with direct access to the main 8 drives which get used often, and the second as something to boot up and backup (via direct access to the other main drives), then shut back down to save power. How horrible of an idea is that? Haha. Will it even work? I haven't installed Hyper-V yet, so I don't even know if it spins down/powers down direct access drives or not
I'd like to keep it as simple and automatic as possible, and avoid RAID, because I do sometimes pull the drives out and need to be able to access them anywhere
I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance
I was thinking setting up 2 virtual machines, one with direct access to the main 8 drives which get used often, and the second as something to boot up and backup (via direct access to the other main drives), then shut back down to save power. How horrible of an idea is that? Haha. Will it even work? I haven't installed Hyper-V yet, so I don't even know if it spins down/powers down direct access drives or not
I'd like to keep it as simple and automatic as possible, and avoid RAID, because I do sometimes pull the drives out and need to be able to access them anywhere
I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance