best backup software?

Zatos

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
158
Was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions for what a good backup program would be. I'm not that familiar with the programs, but I wanted something that could create a backup image as well as a bootable backup. I would like it to be able to run automatically on a schedule - to say - create a backup once a week.

Thanks for the suggestions!
 
Acronis Home for Win764U. It's easy and very complete in terms of features.

Edit: It's not free, but not all good things are.
 
It doesn't run on a schedule unless you create a task, but I've had no problems using Windows 7 system image creator. I've restored with it many times too.
 
Acronis Home for Win764U. It's easy and very complete in terms of features.

Edit: It's not free, but not all good things are.

If the OP (or anyone else) owns a Western Digital or a Seagate/Maxtor hard drive, those OEMs provide a somewhat stripped version of Acronis True Image completely free as part of their software packages. Check each website for details, but it's the full version, works great, has no issues, and lets you create the bootable rescue media (just the bootable CD version of True Image) so you have it.
 
Macrium Reflect gets my vote. Liked the free version enough to buy the family 4 pack licence.
 
I use norton ghost at my work. I haven't had any problems with it. Though I haven't tested really all that many backup solutions.
 
If the OP (or anyone else) owns a Western Digital or a Seagate/Maxtor hard drive, those OEMs provide a somewhat stripped version of Acronis True Image completely free as part of their software packages. Check each website for details, but it's the full version, works great, has no issues, and lets you create the bootable rescue media (just the bootable CD version of True Image) so you have it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but at this point in my life just saying something is "FREE!" doesn't excite me one bit. I have 7 HDD's attached to my rig and $29 a year to upgrade (including patches) whatever imaging software I think is best to keep my OS/data safe is nothing, really.

FWIW Joe, this is a hobby for me. As such, I love having all the bells and whistles I can afford.

Again, Acronis 2011 is a fine imaging suite. ;)
 
Hence me saying "If the OP (or anyone else)..." since anytime anyone ever asking about backup or imaging software, I will always recommend True Image above and beyond all other products but I'll also mention that Western Digital and Seagate/Maxtor offer their version for free just because you might own one of their products.

I always do that, in every such thread, and my posting is directed at anyone and no one person specifically (except the OP in such threads, typically), so... ;)

/me has been using True Image since before it was even at version 1.0 status, can't help but recommend it again and again and again...
 
Granted Joe, but you quoted tired, old ME! :D I don't waste my time hunting for mildly hobbled (FREE!) versions of software. If I see something that works, I buy it. IMO, these very talented guys and gals DESERVE to be compensated for gems like Acronis.

Surely this place is big enough for ALL types of computer junkies, yes?

BTW, I'm running an Acronis component called Nontop Backup (real-time, automatic) on my critical files as we speak. Does WD or Seagate offer this sort of stuff with their freebies?
 
"their freebies" is the actual Acronis True Image product, so I don't know what you're actually driving towards... just make sure you don't swerve into some e-tree somewhere down the road, will ya? :D

From what I gather by scanning the docs for the WD/Seagate/Maxtor edition, no it doesn't support the Nonstop Backup aspect, that's part of the full retail product, and not really a huge thing for most people. It's entirely possible to set the free edition to do scheduled backups - which use the deltas for such purposes - hourly so, you can still get almost the same "protection" if required.

Bleh. Try and help someone (the OP, yanno)... geez. :p
 
i like commodo's backup program (free, easy) err it cant make backup images i dont think tho
 
"their freebies" is the actual Acronis True Image product, so I don't know what you're actually driving towards...

Come on Joe, you could assume that I'm more sophisticated than this.

no it doesn't support the Nonstop Backup aspect, that's part of the full retail product, and not really a huge thing for most people.

Nonstop or a whole host of other things, yes? As for "most people". I don't claim to know what anyone else wants or doesn't want.

It's entirely possible to set the free edition to do scheduled backups - which use the deltas for such purposes - hourly so, you can still get almost the same "protection" if required.

Yeah, you don't NEED/WANT all of those extras, so why would anyone else? :D

Bleh. Try and help someone (the OP, yanno)... geez. :p

Again, you did quote me! ;)
 

Yep, but I've been online since early 1977 and the first thing I learned was "Don't assume Jack Fucking Shit about people you'll never meet, regardless..."

*snip*

Yep, got that.

*snip*

Yep, but when people find out they can get the free version that does 99.75% of what the retail product does and get it because they already spent money on the products that entitle them to the free version, they're gonna take it more often than not.

*snip*

Well, we're beating a dead horse now, let's move on, since we're sophisticated enough to know this... :cool:
 
Wow, look at you! What makes people turn into thin-skinned ++++s by executing the simple act of logging on? :D Concentrated frustration from living useless REAL lives, perhaps? 99.75? I wish I cared enough to find out what drops from your ass next.

So yeah, keep hunting through those drop disks for "FREE!" shit, please. The rest of us will gladly pay your way.
 
Was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions for what a good backup program would be. I'm not that familiar with the programs, but I wanted something that could create a backup image as well as a bootable backup. I would like it to be able to run automatically on a schedule - to say - create a backup once a week.

Thanks for the suggestions!

As for me Handy Backup is the best backup software I ever used. It can do image and botable backup, scheduling backup tasks.
 
Acronis. Like others said. Would get the true image home 2010. Even has a universal feature which today or tomorrow I will be using to rebuild a cpa's pc, during tax time... Damn acer motherboard(really a foxconn, but acer still.)

Will post back with results... And shit that reminds me I have to call hp and get the XP downgrade rights.......
 
If the OP (or anyone else) owns a Western Digital or a Seagate/Maxtor hard drive, those OEMs provide a somewhat stripped version of Acronis True Image completely free as part of their software packages. Check each website for details, but it's the full version, works great, has no issues, and lets you create the bootable rescue media (just the bootable CD version of True Image) so you have it.

You can download Maxblast 5 which came with Maxtor drives and can be downloaded at Seagate site. It has the image creation tool. I haven't used it myself, but I just installed it today.

Are the Acronis or Norton Ghost softwares the same restoration utility that Dell and other computers employ to restore a computer to factory defaults? When I saw it in action on a Dell I was amazed how fast the OS and other programs was reinstalled compared to manually reinstalling the OS and programs. It took may be less than ten minutes. I would like to do the same with my computer.
 
I used to recommend Clonezilla or PING on these threads, but last month both failed me and went with Macrium Free, which worked flawless on many test scenarios.
 
Not sure from first hand experience, but doesnt Acronis make software that does just what you want?
 
Not sure from first hand experience, but doesnt Acronis make software that does just what you want?

Yes acronis does. its a rescue cd. I use it quite frequently duing my job. Pop it and and make sure the pc is on the network and back it up to our NAS drive.
 
Back
Top