• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Backup Option Tape

Khemikal

n00b
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
32
I was posed this question by a friend for his company. They do a lot of print media and are looking for a backup solution mainly but also a solution where they can send whatever they store the media on to an out of state source.

Right now they have on average of 35 - 35 GB of data per issue...but they grow every issue.

They currently have 3 graphic designers working at the business on a network and saving data to a central computer at the moment.

I was thinking a tape backup system would be their best solution for this....nightly backups to tape and then they could send the tape off to their other locations when need be.

Any suggestions on products I should look into in regards to this?

Khem
 
if they plan on growing, i would go with an lto1 tape, they hold 100 GB uncompressed data 200 conpressed. Single tape drive should do just fine, if not get like a five tape library, a simple backup solution, veritas backupexe or even win nt backup, i would go with backupexe. Call up a offsite storage place, such as iron mountian, they do off site storage and are reliable. if they are really parinoid, they can set up SAN at a co-lo, (iron mountian again, or sungard) and send their backup to both the tape (now i would keep in house) and the SAN at the off site location.

Hope this helps
 
Backup Exec is great. We run a 6 Tape LTO-1 Autoloader here and backup arpund 21 servers with that loader, and run it on another 8mmDAT changer in our DMZ. Works liek a charm and has bailed me out on quite a few occasions.

www.veritas.com

I believe they have small client licensing, based on the number of remote agents you need to install.

And Kev, it's Josh ;)
 
I'd recognize that posting name anywhere. On a serious note, with your current situation, I'll have at least one small and maybe a second slightly larger bonus for you next week.

Do my a favor and check my post at wickednet...it is a bit more specific...I appreciate you guys helping and the info provided but I think off site storage will be a big of an overkill for my friend.

Khem
 
Khemikal said:
I'd recognize that posting name anywhere. On a serious note, with your current situation, I'll have at least one small and maybe a second slightly larger bonus for you next week.

Do my a favor and check my post at wickednet...it is a bit more specific...I appreciate you guys helping and the info provided but I think off site storage will be a big of an overkill for my friend.

Khem

I get a bonus, woohoooooo!!!!! lol, anyway, if you need any other advice let us know
 
Yeah, Veritas is Onsite. You just have 2/3 sets of tapes so you always have one in a safe/at the bosses house/whatever in case that main cartridge catches on fire/disappears/runs off with a pakistani hooker ;)
 
A single tapedrive would work, but a DLT drive might serve them better than LTO2 if their backup size is around 35GB - that's the uncompressed size of DLT media.

Inany case LTO2 tapes are about $60 each and DLT are 30. LTO drives start at 2K DLT under 1K

And veritas isn't so bad for automated backup. If all you want to do is archive single issues after completion to tape then you can probably just use NT backup (which is free).
 
[H]Rabbit said:
A single tapedrive would work, but a DLT drive might serve them better than LTO2 if their backup size is around 35GB - that's the uncompressed size of DLT media.

Inany case LTO2 tapes are about $60 each and DLT are 30. LTO drives start at 2K DLT under 1K

And veritas isn't so bad for automated backup. If all you want to do is archive single issues after completion to tape then you can probably just use NT backup (which is free).

well he said they were growing, so thats why i said LTO1 not LTO2 it will allow for more growth.

O.P.
Since offsite storage would be to much, just invest in a good fire resistant tape box, you can keep it off site if you want at a location you know is safe if you want. They get heavy but they are worth it. Do you have a link to that other post you were talking about
 
I really like my 100/260GB AIT-3 tapes.

I upgraded from a 40/80GB DLT drive.

MUCH faster, smaller, etc.

==>Lazn
 
Back
Top