Best Antivirus software for use with power-save modes?

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
I am a fairly big fan of power save modes on my PC - specifically, the S3 standby state. These things have become fairly standard over the years - especially as common as laptops have become - and it's a great way to keep your power bill down with a desktop PC, too.

Almost all hardware handles them fine, and almost all software, too. Only real problem I'm having is finding antivirus software that works reliably with it.

I'd been using Norton Systemworks Premier 2006 for a few years (minus most the annoying stuff in it, pretty much just keeping the Antivirus, defrag tool, Ghost, and the cleanup/repair tool), and...it's alright. Recently, though - twice this year, actually - Norton has put out a software update to it that caused the install to become corrupted on the next power-save-mode cycle. Had to reinstall completely from scratch, nothing I could do would repair it enough to start up again.

After the last time of this, I got kind of fed up with it (I mean, working fine for years, then twice in one year updates come out that wipe out all my settings and I have to re-download and re-update from scratch!), so tried the eval of Microsoft Onecare 2.0.

This is also not bad, and I like the 'network management' aspect of it (which I understand Norton Internet Security 2008 also has, so that's something to look at), but...well, it 'breaks' power save modes. The system never goes to 'sleep' when it's running. Oh, sure, I can force it to standby - and Onecare always seems to come back happy as a clam. But the system never goes into standby on its own when this is running.

Finally, I tried the (very short, which is odd) eval of Norton Antivirus 2008. This seemed to work okay, for the most part. Even a very responsive boot-up, too - that was always a complaint I had about Norton 2006...boot times were NOTICEABLY slowed down. 2008 is usually as fast as Onecare. Only complaint, though, is that every 4th or 5th bootup (reliably), it...didn't come up fast. I started putting Filemon in my startup dir to verify what was tearing the hell out of my hard disk, and, sure enough, it was Norton 2008. I'd get my Window's desktop - but that's it, no start menu, task bar, etc - for about 12 minutes while the hard drive went NUTS. As I mentioned, Filemon confirmed this was Norton 2008 doing...something. No idea what, I didn't have it set to auto-scan or anything, no boot-time procedures, etc.

SO...that's my long story.

Any recommendations for better choices than the above that I've tried?

Check out www.avast.com

I have been very happy with their home AV package and it is free as well. I switched cause they were one of the first to have Vista support, and have stuck with them cause it has worked so well and I have yet to have an issue.

Back