Best Anti-Virus

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Last time I checked Eset Nod32 was high on the list.

My parents got a new computer and I need to get them setup with something ASAP.

Not sure if Im gonna go with free or paid software so if you guys could let me know what the best are right now that would awesome.

Microsoft Security Essentials

It's light, it's very good in detection, quite good at removal.
Importantly, especially for end users who are NOT very tech savvy..it has a very simple interface, it's self managing, quietly keeps updated, doesn't require much end user interaction.

AntiVir was my prior favorite free antivirus, very good in detection, but they often have problems with updates for the free version, it's a difficult interface for the "non-tech" person, and they have those popup ads which are on the increase and they now fixed it so you can't disable them for long.

In a recent test, MSE was only 1.1% behind AntiVir in detection, and it was 100% detection of rootkits and 100% in removal of rootkits.

Smart surfing is the best medicine. I haven't used AV for years but now use MSE. Also helps to use an up to date browser with phishing filters etc.

Microsoft one bogs down the system like no other. On many occasions I've seen the real time mpengine or whatever the process was spiking at like 80megs and 60/70 percent.

I think it does a great job but slows system down.

Nod is light but I don't think it can stop much spyware.

I've been using that and then using Mbam realtime on some users.

Microsoft one bogs down the system like no other. On many occasions I've seen the real time mpengine or whatever the process was spiking at like 80megs and 60/70 percent.

I think it does a great job but slows system down..

I haven't seen that after many installs on various types of rigs, even some quite old rigs with minimal horsepower.

Doesn't bog rigs down as bad as Avast or AVG, just a little heavier than AntiVir.

Avira, Avast, MSE, Norton (09 or 10), ESET... No real reason to pay anymore. Frankly, I'm hesitant to even recommend Avira anymore, as the nag screen is annoying and Avast and MSE do a great job with no nags,

AVG or McAfee.

:p

Seriously tho, Norton 09/10 is amazing as is Kaspersky 2010 & the new Microsoft Security Essentials. Avira is pretty good, but has too many false positives for my liking.

Microsoft Security Essentials. I hate to admit it, but credit where credit is due. I run a small computer shop and I use to see 10-15 people a week with "anti-virus" scareware. Granted the RTM hasn't been out that long, but since I've started installing/recommending MSE the numbers are starting to dwindle.

I haven't seen that after many installs on various types of rigs, even some quite old rigs with minimal horsepower.

Doesn't bog rigs down as bad as Avast or AVG, just a little heavier than AntiVir.

Same here. I have it running on a number of PC's and it is light and fast. MSE is the best bet right now imo.

Avira is pretty good, but has too many false positives for my liking.

What I'm reading a lot of complaints about, and I've seen a couple of times itself, is issues with updates. The free version has gotten so popular that their update servers for the free version seem to get overwhelmed.

I've used Avast home, which is free, for years on all my home PCs. I liked it so much I upgraded to pro version with a special bundle deal that included avast for whs. I never had any issues with virus. I also never really noticed any bog downs using it. YMMV.

I have Nod32 right now but will probably switch to MSE when my subscription ends.

What I'm reading a lot of complaints about, and I've seen a couple of times itself, is issues with updates. The free version has gotten so popular that their update servers for the free version seem to get overwhelmed.

I had a few family members that I recommended Avira to call me about that a couple weeks ago, so I set it up on an old rig and have been testing updates twice day since. I've only had one fail since I got the phone calls, and it went through fine when I redid the update.

I think they're at least aware of the problem and trying to beef up their servers.

I think they're at least aware of the problem and trying to beef up their servers.

Yeah I'm sure they are. They most likely got quite a boost in free users this past year, as PCWorld gave them #1 vote a month or two ago in their "Free Antivirus" article.

In the past it was always AVG or Avast which many home users knew about, not many ever heard of AntiVir..but they're getting popular now..hence those update issues.

Another Avast user here. Has been good to me the past couple years. May have to check out this MSE though...

Smart surfing is the best medicine. I haven't used AV for years but now use MSE. Also helps to use an up to date browser with phishing filters etc.

This is not a good answer. There is no such thing as "smart surfing" when 'clean' sites can be infected by compromised advertising.

Vipre is respectable, and has a great $99 lifetime license, but since they won't allow themselves to be tested (yet), had to tell the effectiveness.

Back