Best Anti-Virus Program?

gamerx11

Limp Gawd
What is the best anti-virus program? I need a lot of options unlike some cheap software. Don't need to worry too much about speed b/c I have 4gb of RAM but want it to run smoothly on my 64bit vista o/s.

I use Kaspersky's Internet Security 2009 (though I just enabled AV support) because it came with three licenses and was cheaper than the AV package at the time. It's functional but uses a bit more RAM than I wished (more than Avast!, which surprised me). It also BSOD'ed my laptop because I used a slipstreamed version of vista. I had to run in diagnostic mode, enable windows installer, then uninstall Kaspersky. I decided to back up and reformat the laptop with a full disc (slipstreaming is overrated these days). It works like a charm now.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaspersky-KIS...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230350936&sr=8-1

That Nod32 deal is also very good. I'd lean towards that if you just need an AV for a single computer.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is the best anti-virus program? I need a lot of options unlike some cheap software. Don't need to worry too much about speed b/c I have 4gb of RAM but want it to run smoothly on my 64bit vista o/s.
If all you want is just plain AV, with nothing else, Nod32 would probably be the best but you have to pay for it. If your looking for AV and Spyware, Avira and Avast are good, and free, as long as you don't mind annoying pop ups every time definitions update (Avira). If you want the best functionality, with most features and something that's easy to schedule, prioritize scanning, etc, then I would say AVG free edition. It's slightly more intense in terms of system resources, but it's a good product.

Just a sidenote: you can get rid of that Avira popup with a Registry hack and a filename change, from my understanding. Google can get more info about it, but that one little gripe about a great product apparently has a workaround...

Just a sidenote: you can get rid of that Avira popup with a Registry hack and a filename change, from my understanding. Google can get more info about it, but that one little gripe about a great product apparently has a workaround...
I've also heard of people using the security settings and just disallow everything for that file. You can also use security policy path rule to disallow that program.

Thanks Joe.

Back