best anti-spyware programs lately?

Bo_Bice

Gawd
are adaware and spybot still the only ones you need? or have other programs gone beyond these? ive just used these, and recommended them for 2 years, following the sticky thread, but wondering if anything has changed.

Although I regularly only use Ace Utilities and CCleaner to clean up junk (since I switched to Firefox about a year ago I've had almost no spyware), I also keep these updated and scanning periodically:

Ad-Aware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
HijackThis!

I am REALLY liking Aluria's Anti-Spyware program...been running for the last 6 months or so and it's impressive imo...but I also am running Spybot and Norton's spyware program bundled with SystemWorks 2006...it doesn't hurt to run overlapping programs for spyware (in my experience anyway, ymmv). For actual Antivirus protection, Norton is the best I have ever used (with a few caviats for sortware updates other than virus definitions).

http://www.aluriasoftware.com/homeproducts/spyware/

Had a nasty run-in at work on one of our laptops thursday (sales laptop, go figure)... anyway, had some pretty bad spyware and a few trojans on it, that completely bypassed ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which was updated.

My usual treatment of Ad-Aware, Spybot, Hijack This, and CCleaner did not get everything, so had to do a bunch of research on how to get rid of these, and much of the info I found pointed to Ewido, SpySweeper and NOD32. The combo of those 3 did the trick, other than a few manual reg hacks and Hijack This.

Spy Sweeper was probally a bit more accurate than the others, as it kept insisting I had a trojan, when all the other programs showed I was clean, so finally found that bugger and got rid of it too.

edit: Forgot to mention, found a great site for scanning individual files, helped me identify some dll's that were viruses:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

It's too bad all of these good programs can't be combined into one. It's kind of annoying to have to run four or five programs regularly to be/feel clean.

I'm pretty sure more people would be willing to buy it too.

I agree...1 is not enough right now...maybe the Onecare thingy will be good, we'll see...but it requires you to remove the other "competing" programs when it installs :(

Not sure I'd trust MS entirely for security.

I rely on AVG and Spybot mainly, and my system is pretty much spotless (I also just don't have bad net habits). I have M$ Windows Defender to try and catch any system changes, but I would only install it on a machine that is already clean, because I fear it will preserve the settings that are in place at the time it is installed.

Back