Best and cheapest 22in-27in LCD?

sghod1212

n00b
I've got a tight budget between $200 and $300 for a widescreen LCD for my new computer. I don't know as much about monitors as I should, so I'm asking here: what would be the best monitor for me if I like to watch movies and play PC and 360 games on it? I've been lurking on this board for a while and found that the Chimei 22in is pretty good, but is there anything better? I'd like it to be either from Dell or Newegg. Also, what about HDCP? I'll be getting an 8800GTX, which is HDCP, but do I need a certain monitor to be able to use this feature?

Playing HDDVD/Bluray on your computer the official way requires HDCP drive, software, graphics card, monitor, and maybe more.

Since you don't know much about monitors you probably won't see much difference in image quality between value models and expensive models.

Right now within the 22" world, you have HP w2207, Samsung 226, Dell e228, then you have everything else that's pretty much the same. You will have to hunt for deals to get one of the top three below $300

360 support among computer monitors is hit and miss. You'll have to research that.

Right now 24" is $600+ so you're limited to 22"

E228: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5205
309$ USD.

I'm not a big fan of the "same res on larger panel" that the 22 and 27" models both have (since 1680x1050 is native for 20.1" panels, and 1920x1200 is native for 24" models respectively) and the 22 and 27 have those respective resolutions.. BUT.

You want this for console experience as well, so I'd say go the E228 route, since you have 2 inches more.. sometimes size really does matter.

I'm really liking that Westinghouse mainly for the better 360 support and price, but is there more to the Dell? I can get both for about the same price so I'm still a little undecided. Are there any other models that I should look at as well?

I just read another thread that was talking about how all 22in LCDs are TN. I'm not exactly sure on what TN is, but they were referring to it as being bad, while in the sticky it said that TNs were really good for gaming. Can anyone clarify this a little more?

I was able to increase my budget to ~$350, so more suggestions are welcome.

I just read another thread that was talking about how all 22in LCDs are TN. I'm not exactly sure on what TN is, but they were referring to it as being bad, while in the sticky it said that TNs were really good for gaming. Can anyone clarify this a little more?

TN panels generally have good response time which is why they say "good for gaming"...however they also suffer from poor viewing angles, color accuracy and black levels when compared to S-IPS, P-MVA and S-PVA. it's not so much that TN panels are "bad" it's just that the only trump they had over the other technologies is not really relevant these days with newer generation panels, as even the slowest technology (IPS) has acceptable response time to go along with the good viewing angles and color reproduction

Now it's between the Westinghouse and the BenQ.

About HDCP, I'm probably going to go the easier route and buy the HD-DVD drive for my 360 and play movies off of that, so I'll only need an HDCP monitor. The BenQ is labeled explicitly as HDCP, but what about the Westinghouse? Or even the E228?

E228 has HDCP. If you use 360's VGA you don't need HDCP monitor. It's a DVI/HDMI-only thing.

20in monitors are alright if they have a significant improvement in visual quality over the 22in. Any input on the 226BW?

How about the 2007WFP for a 20in? It's $360, a bit more than I'd like, but a refurbished one is about $260. Is there any reason not to get a refurbished monitor? I have bought a few refurbished parts over the years from Dell and, so far, they've all worked flawlessly.

The 226bw, is the best 22" you can get (in my opinion)

2ms response time (less ghosting)

3000:1 contrast

and its sexy/cheap

a few bucks more and that will put within the range to get the new HPw2207. by far the best 22" lcd IMO.

3000 is completely unrealistic. Yes, specifications for the Sammy 226 say so, but this is not your real contrast index. Its' the dynamic index. The real contrast index is about 1000:1. Yes, you can set it to 3000 but there will be considerable delay when dark backgrounds change to light ones. Many people don't use it. The Sammy is a good monitor nevertheless, but all 22"ers that i've seen look a bit washed out when compared to my HP w2207. I agree with those in this thread who rave about this monitor.

3000 is completely unrealistic. Yes, specifications for the Sammy 226 say so, but this is not your real contrast index. Its' the dynamic index. The real contrast index is about 1000:1. Yes, you can set it to 3000 but there will be considerable delay when dark backgrounds change to light ones. Many people don't use it. The Sammy is a good monitor nevertheless, but all 22"ers that i've seen look a bit washed out when compared to my HP w2207. I agree with those in this thread who rave about this monitor.
i agree 100% with sylva. i went to a cc to get either a acer,lg, or maybe even the sammy. but was i suprized when i saw for the first time in my life the HPW2207 sandwiched inbetween these orther lcd's. and thier was no debate which one i was walking out with. in my opinion the HP blows all or the orther 22" lcd mentioned here in this thread. all i'm gonna say about this is. you better be sure when you buy monitor no matter which one you choose. thier better be an HP w2207 in the store that you purchase you brand new lcd. because i would hate for someone to say "DAMM i wish i would have seen this new HP lcd" before i bought my (sammy,lg,acer,dell etc...) becuase if you don't you'll be sorry:)

Back