Best AMD CPU

zaniix

Gawd
OK not anymore, but it was good once long ago. I found it in a box when I was cleaning

IMG_1006.jpg

Last edited:
I remember getting a DX4-120 to actually run at 133MHz; was such a fun chip, until I got a Socket 7 board and a 75MHz Pentium.

That chip was in my 1st pc. A hand me down from my Dad who got it from work. Although being a work PC I used win 3.1.It ran doom and quake sweet. Then went to a Pentuim 100 Packard Bell from Walmart I think. I upgraded the ram and put a 3dfx voodoo 1 in it. BTW my next setup was a P 233 mmx that ran 333. I was very fast at the time.

I still consider the Thunderbird chips to be the best AMD chips so far,.

opinions are just that, though.

my first and also slowest PC ever was AMD 386SX 25@33MHz

other AMD buid was nF2 mobo with Tbreed B JIUHB [email protected] which I later swapped with a friend for Barton [email protected]. In general this JIUHB was better for OC in VIA mobos because of unlocked multiplier and that is why we did the swap.

And that is pretty much it, three CPU's and two motherboards. I also had 14 Intel CPU's and 15 Intel mobos in total so I am Intel inside guy :D

Best AMD CPU's were all Athlons K7 and all single core K8.

Not dual-core X2's because they have design flaw and cause issues on XP which is ridiculous considering that was the OS of the choice of that time. Even recently I developed time-critical software which needed to operate with precission of single milliseconds and when running it on K8 X2 at work it misbehaved (random issues with timer, when thread switched between threads) and only solution was to force it on single core. Interestingly after upgrading CPU to Phenom 1 all issues disappeared so it is definitely the thing with dual-coe X2 design. This thing was one of two reasons I went with Pentium D. Second reason was much much better price of the latter. Pentium D 805 was then like K7 JIUHB earlier: super cheap and overclocked like hell. So while clearly faster and more power efficient Athlons 64 X2 weren't really all that good imho.

ps. It looked like this :)
KL_AMD_386SX.jpg

I sort of miss the days PCs were so slow (8088) that you could watch it think while it was drawing an ANSI animation.

Now we all have supercomputers in our pockets, but use them to exchange funny cat videos.

I think my fondest memories with AMD chips were from the spitfire durons.

Frys would sell them in combos with bottom of the barrel MB's for $50 sometimes.

These boards would rarely if ever have OC options, but the durons were locked anyway.

Well, an ordinary pencil fixed that.

I could get at least 1/2 of the duron 600's I bought to run at 900MHz, I had one special chip that would run at 1GHz.

Of course they wenrt the fastest setups around, but having a MB/CPU combo that was running a CPU @ 1GHz for only $50 was pretty darn cool for the time period.

AMD_Duron_D600AUT1B.jpg

I have this guy, which I hold on to for nostalgia. This was a beast during its prime.

I started my hardware enthusiast "career" with the first pc i ever owned, it was in 1997 and it was an AMD K6 :D

Loved it! Played Dune 2000 for hours every day. Can't remember the video card though.

Best AMD cpu - i vote fore the Athlon 64

For me I do not know which I would have considered the best. Being that I went to dual cores in the early to mid 1990s. I usually purchased mid end dual processor capable processors and usually overclocked the dual rigs to at least the stock clock of the highest end CPU. Although my early days these were Intel setups I did have several Athlon /AthlonMP and then Opteron dual processor systems.

Last edited:
My old Duron 700 was badass in its day.

But overall best chips were obviously the Athlon 64's.

athlon t-bird 1200
athlon t-bred 2100+
athlon 64 3200+
athlon X2 3800+
(intel C2D E6600)
(intel C2Q Q6700)
thuban 1090T
(intel Haswell i5 4400)
(intel Haswell-E i7 5920k)

favourite was the first. seemed stupendously fast at the time.

Last edited:
I threw a FX60 in the bin a few weeks ago.

I would have to say the AMD CPU that gave me the best service and most satisfaction was my Opteron 180 paired with DDR500 ram, a DFI Ultra motherboard and 7900GTX SLI.

Honourable mention to the Phenom II 720BE.

I think the x2 3800 was my favorite cpu of all time. Got a lot of value out of it.

I still have an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core processor. I remember all the good times I had overclocking it. I no longer have a motherboard for it, but the processor was still running great when I put it into storage.

I was highly impressed with the 965 Black Edition. It was a very fast chip for its price and overall compared to many of Intel's offerings at the time.

Humm

I have a 200mhz winchip in a socket 7 tower in my basement it has windows 2k and 128mb of 72 pin ram it should still work...
A k6-2 500mhz
slot a 900mhz
an axia stepping 1.2 tbird also should work has 1 gig of ram a scsi drive with win 2k loaded
then I have a 2400+ tbred with 2gig of pc 133 ram somwhere the board has leaking caps but it worked when I pulled it.
then I have 3 amd 939 3200+ one bnib
a duron 2400+ socket 754
a am2 4800+
a x2 240 am2
and an a10-7850k
An e-350

on the intel side...
a pentium 120mhz
a 233mmx
a 450mhz p2
a 500 mhz celeron
various p4
A celeron 1005m
an i7 5500u

I threw a FX60 in the bin a few weeks ago.

I would have to say the AMD CPU that gave me the best service and most satisfaction was my Opteron 180 paired with DDR500 ram, a DFI Ultra motherboard and 7900GTX SLI.

Honourable mention to the Phenom II 720BE.

I actually broke out my FX60 and DFI LanParty and OCZ DDR 500 (have some platinum 400 thats mediocre at best) over the weekend to setup a a retro rig in which the FX60 will be entirely overkill for. Slapped in a 9800GT and now I'm ready to install all the classics from the late 90s to early 2000s.

My favorite older AMD processors so far:

K6-2 550 (had it overclocked to 660 on an ASUS P5A)
Have a K6-3+ that I would like to try overclocking but I don't have a board for it.

Barton 2800 Mobile - Currently overclocked to 2.4Ghz in my current retro rig on an Abit KT7A.
Will be moving it to a slightly newer board that might allow me to overclock more AND it uses DDR instead of SDRAM.

Then I might move my retro rig to a S939 board and an Athlon 64x2 or my old Opteron 175.

My first computer was my dads hand me down, AMD 486 DX2 80. It wasnt until Barton XP 2500+ that i was buying my own pc parts though -- so for me the XP2500+ overclocked to 2.4ghz on water was my fondest memory. close 2nd might be the Phenom X3 720

My first computer was my dads hand me down, AMD 486 DX2 80. It wasnt until Barton XP 2500+ that i was buying my own pc parts though -- so for me the XP2500+ overclocked to 2.4ghz on water was my fondest memory. close 2nd might be the Phenom X3 720

I still have my 720BE. Wonderful chip for the price/performance of its time.

I had a 2500+ that ran for probably 10 years and didn't stop when it got the boot. It was overclocked to 3200+ speeds for most of that time, including I think up until the end.

My first AMD cpu was the K6-3 400 with the extra cache. Worked great in my Gateway Frankenstein PC for a couple of years or so. Even ended up seeing out it's days plugged into a old AST laptop down-clocked to 266Mhz to replace the original 166Mhz Pentium.

After that numerous Athlon and Durons (no slot types, hated that period) then at least half a dozen, maybe more, assorted single and dual core 939 chips over a period of two years. The 720BE arrived late 2009 and was eventually replaced with 2008 spec Xeons in late 2013.

Fun while it lasted.

Either the Barton 2500+, or the Athlon 1700+ (AGOIA?). I kept that Barton system on an NF7 for way longer than any other system I had and the 1700+ is still running at a family members house at ~1.7ghz in an Epox mobo.

seeing these pics make me wonder if I still have my old cpu's I used to keep for some reason..

/sigh fun interesting times

Either the Barton 2500+, or the Athlon 1700+ (AGOIA?). I kept that Barton system on an NF7 for way longer than any other system I had and the 1700+ is still running at a family members house at ~1.7ghz in an Epox mobo.

Need to bump up the clock speed. That 1700+ depending on stepping can go way faster

Last edited:
Need to bump up the clock speed. That 1700+ depending on stepping can go way faster

If memory serves, that was the best I could get out of stock vcore, so I left it. I think I got it to nearly 2ghz by bumping vcore.

If memory serves, that was the best I could get out of stock vcore, so I left it. I think I got it to nearly 2ghz by bumping vcore.

I forget what the settings were on my old 1700+ but I had it at 2.5Ghz. I lucked out and got one one with the miracle stepping. It was also on an Epox mobo

I forget what the settings were on my old 1700+ but I had it at 2.5Ghz. I lucked out and got one one with the miracle stepping. It was also on an Epox mobo

There was the DLXXX generation that came after AGOIA? that overclocked really well. You had to really crank up the voltage though. I think I had one at one point but cracked the core putting on a cooler.

The best AMD cpu I had the pleasure of owning was a mobile Barton 2500+.. that thing clocked like a beast.. i ended up getting mine stable at 2.6 on air using an NF7-S and one of those HUGE metal heatsinks..an slk-900 with a 92mm vantec tornado.. freaking LOUD.. 2.7 would post, but after that, just trouble.. once again, i was happy with that good of an oc, and it was a great learning experience.

Anyone remember the K62/3+ with full speed on board L2 cache ??? I had my K62+ running at 600 MHZ!

Anyone remember the K62/3+ with full speed on board L2 cache ??? I had my K62+ running at 600 MHZ!

I had both a k6-2 and the k6-3+.

With both of them the limit was due to motherboard multiplier and bus settings. The 3+ was noticeably faster at the same speed as the 2 was. That neat little trick of turning the motherboard L2 cache into L3 cache was a nice performance boost.

Sometimes I miss overclocking by jumper. Then I remember what a pain in the arse IRQs used to be and I quickly appreciate how much simpler things have gotten now.

My first AMD chip was an AM286-16 and it was a screamer.

Also fondly remember the 386DX-40 as a beast as well.

I had an Intel DX2-100 during the 486 followed by a Pentium 60 but have been all AMD since.

Good Memories.

a duron 2400+ socket 754

I think your memory is a tad foggy lol.

Durons maxed out at 1800 MHz, never used the PR rating and were only available on Socket 462.

Socket 754 was for Athlon 64s, Sempron 64, Turion 64 and some other mobile parts.

I think your memory is a tad foggy lol.

Durons maxed out at 1800 MHz, never used the PR rating and were only available on Socket 462.

Socket 754 was for Athlon 64s, Sempron 64, Turion 64 and some other mobile parts.

you are right looking back at the purchase order sempron 2600+

I've had a k6-2, Winchester, Venice and a 165. The 165 was by far the most fun. I have E-1 2500 in a HTPC now. What a POS that is.

16530.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back