Best AMD Board and CPU combo for your buck?

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
I've been reading alot of stuff about Intel's and AMD Athlon's and AMD 64's. I'm just pretty much looking for a good performance system and I plan on spending no more than $400.00. Can someone recommend something that will last me a good while? I'm not anal or hardcore about having the most, updated, expensive stuff. I just want something good, and I dont mind paying good money for it! Thanks!

Probably no more than $350-400

Is the AMD 64 really worth getting? I want something that will last a few years that will do some good. Are there utilities that use the 64bit technology?

I'm just looking into getting an AMD setup.

Originally posted by Shawn
How much u wanna spend first?

It really is dependant on what you are doing. Look in the range of 120-150 for a quality new motherboard, same goes for chip. If you want this to last for years then I would buy the newest generation of chip-chipset, and a solid 1GB of ram.

I would say cruise around the forums here and other places, research whats new and good, and if you are planning on spending 400 for just the motherboard and chip, and reusing old parts you might as well save the money.

If you are planning on putting together a solid system that will last and not require future upgrades until you replace it with another solid system expect to spend 700 without including the monitor.

If u play games i would say get the AMD64 /w that motherboard and buy new ram. And you would be set for a while.

Go with the AMD Athlon64 3400+ and the Aopen AK86-L motherboard. If not that mobo, go with the Asus SK8V motherboard. The Asus motherboard is about 30-50 dollars extra but has more features. Personally, I'm going to go with the AK86-L. Its fully featured with intergrated sound/lan/sata, only problem is no firewire. I haven't read too much on the Asus motherboard but does anyone have any suggestions as to which one to pick?

just customize it. get the abit nf7-s and a barton 2500+ and a areo cooler 7 thats like 300

how about the threads in here under strictly amd and strictly intel

nforce 2 boards are the best and you can find some for around 50-150. If u go XP and are going to overclock(!!) go for the 2400+ mobile Barton core and OC the hell outa that thing with some great cooling up to 3400+

~Adam

Back