Best AMD AM3 Motherboard?

DJ Big T

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I am doing a new build. I am not new to AMD. I need to know what the best, most stable, OCable motherboard with the best warranty is for AM3, that is at least somewhat affordable. Budget is no issue, but I am willing to pay up to $200 for a good mobo.

Thanks,
Big T

The best mobo is the one that is defect-free, if you're lucky to get one keep it regardless of brand. I have two GA-890GPA-UD3H and I'm keeping them.

So, is it worth it going with the "extreme" version of the crosshair IV?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=asus_am3_motherboard-_-13-131-644-_-Product
vs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=asus_am3_motherboard-_-13-131-667-_-Product

Is it really worth the extra $70?

Thanks,
Travis

Not to me. They're both built to near bulletproof standards and will handle any amount of overclocking you'll throw at it and pretty much anything else you could throw at it.

I'm a big believer in buying very high quality mobo's case they're the foundation to your entire rig and will determine what uograde you can make and how long you'll go before upgrading. That being said I think $300 is over the top so Id opt for the Formula.

That's also a good point to wait another month for the AM3+ boards. That way when youre ready to upgrade to a Bulldozer, all you'll have to do is drop it in.

+1 to waiting for AM3+ boards.

With the Extreme, you get bluetooth ROG connect, which the Formula does not have. It also has the Lucid Hydra chip, which gives you its capabilities (search it up if you want to know what it is). You also get a slightly different motherboard layout, a much larger motherboard (E-ATX, so you need an E-ATX case), and one additional PCI-E x16 slot.

+1 also on waiting for am3+. Why drop cash on something old when you can get something that will work with both am3 cpus and am3+.

I Would wait as well.. & If not waiting then I surely wouldnt consider the Asus Crosshair at this point. its too late in the game to drop that kinda coin on an am3 board. I would get the asrock 870 extreme 3 board. 90 bucks & all the higher end features you could want. Use the 200 dollars saved to buy a better CPU And GPU

+1 to waiting for AM3+ boards.

With the Extreme, you get bluetooth ROG connect, which the Formula does not have. It also has the Lucid Hydra chip, which gives you its capabilities (search it up if you want to know what it is). You also get a slightly different motherboard layout, a much larger motherboard (E-ATX, so you need an E-ATX case), and one additional PCI-E x16 slot.

When do those come out? Right now I am thinking of getting a combo like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.644144

Selling the motherboard and buying the Asus mobo... since it's such a good deal. When would the AM3+ mobos come out? Right now I am just probably going to buy the RAM, keep my video card, buy an AMD phenom six core CPU, and get a hard drive until I pick the right motherboard.

sorry to sort of go off topic, I am doing an upgrade obviously but if AM3+ motherboards come out, I need to know exactly when so I don't screw myself.

When do those come out? Right now I am thinking of getting a combo like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.644144

Selling the motherboard and buying the Asus mobo... since it's such a good deal. When would the AM3+ mobos come out? Right now I am just probably going to buy the RAM, keep my video card, buy an AMD phenom six core CPU, and get a hard drive until I pick the right motherboard.

sorry to sort of go off topic, I am doing an upgrade obviously but if AM3+ motherboards come out, I need to know exactly when so I don't screw myself.
Right now, there are midrange AM3+ boards on NewEgg, the higher-end boards, such as the Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX & ROG Crosshair V Formula/Extreme, Gigabyte 990FX-UD5/7/9, MSI 990FXA-G series & BigBang 990FX should be out either later this month, or in early June.

Right now, there are midrange AM3+ boards on NewEgg, the higher-end boards, such as the Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX & ROG Crosshair V Formula/Extreme, Gigabyte 990FX-UD5/7/9, MSI 990FXA-G series & BigBang 990FX should be out either later this month, or in early June.

Do you think buying a combo is worth it? I won't be necessarily overclocking. Can you tell me more about AM3+?

I, too, am in the "wait for Bulldozer" camp. My PC bit the dust a few weeks ago and I was a mouse click away from pulling the trigger on a Crosshair IV, but something told me to hold off and sleep on it, and soon I found myself here reading about the awesomeness that will be AM3+. From what I've been able to gather, AM3+ has one more pin than AM3 and the pins are something like 30% bigger in diameter. This translates to: AM3+ board will accept and work with an AM3 (Phenom II) CPU, but not the other way around. My plan is to wait and see what the price/performance difference will be when Bulldozer hits the market, and either go for the new hotness or pick up a super-cheap Phenom II with plans to upgrade later. But I'm definitely getting an ASUS Crosshair V. Unless somehow EVGA gets back on the AMD train (crosses fingers.)

P.S. Biggest news about the new AM3+ boards, specifically the 990 chipset, is that NVIDIA SLi will be fully supported!

I, too, am in the "wait for Bulldozer" camp. My PC bit the dust a few weeks ago and I was a mouse click away from pulling the trigger on a Crosshair IV, but something told me to hold off and sleep on it, and soon I found myself here reading about the awesomeness that will be AM3+. From what I've been able to gather, AM3+ has one more pin than AM3 and the pins are something like 30% bigger in diameter. This translates to: AM3+ board will accept and work with an AM3 (Phenom II) CPU, but not the other way around. My plan is to wait and see what the price/performance difference will be when Bulldozer hits the market, and either go for the new hotness or pick up a super-cheap Phenom II with plans to upgrade later. But I'm definitely getting an ASUS Crosshair V. Unless somehow EVGA gets back on the AMD train (crosses fingers.)

P.S. Biggest news about the new AM3+ boards, specifically the 990 chipset, is that NVIDIA SLi will be fully supported!

Thank you for this post. Very informative. So I think I'll get some RAM first - I was thinking this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144 or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Then I'll just sit tight until next month and save my money for the CPU and motherboard, would it even be worth it getting this processor ? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913&cm_re=amd_x6-_-19-103-913-_-Product or should I just wait for these newer AMD CPUs that you hint about?

I am working on my spare/guest gaming rig and was wondering the same, I wanted something around 100 bucks, I will eventually put in an AM3+ setup but for the time being was wondering a good AM3 board around 100 bucks??

After the failure of the M4A89GTD from ASUS I lost a lot of trust in their reliability. I've been running on and happy with MSI's 890FX chipped board. I would have to agree that waiting for AM3+ boards to come out would be a better deal. At the very least it will push down prices on the current crop of AM3 if your not interested in getting an AM3+

I am working on my spare/guest gaming rig and was wondering the same, I wanted something around 100 bucks, I will eventually put in an AM3+ setup but for the time being was wondering a good AM3 board around 100 bucks??
Will you be using AM3 or AM2+?

For ATX, this is a good board: Foxconn A9DA-S 890GX, I have this one, the A7DA-S3.0 790GX, which is now $20 damn dollars cheaper than when I bought it! :mad: It overclocks pretty good. If you decide to get it, it would be a good idea to update it to the latest bios, P07.

For mATX, first, stay away from any board with a GeForce 6100/6150SE, but the 'Egg has a crap load of mATX AM3 boards: NewEgg's Crapload of AM3 MicroATX boards.

Thank you for this post. Very informative. So I think I'll get some RAM first - I was thinking this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144 or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Then I'll just sit tight until next month and save my money for the CPU and motherboard, would it even be worth it getting this processor ? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913&cm_re=amd_x6-_-19-103-913-_-Product or should I just wait for these newer AMD CPUs that you hint about?

I hate it when I see someone attempt to build piece by piece over time. If you're that itchy to buy something for you're new build, get something that won't depreciate or affect compatibility such as a case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, etc. I would hold off on parts like RAM and CPU. You don't know what incentives there will be with the new AM3+ boards yet. You might find a combo offer that will make you regret prepurchasing that RAM.

I hate it when I see someone attempt to build piece by piece over time. If you're that itchy to buy something for you're new build, get something that won't depreciate or affect compatibility such as a case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, etc. I would hold off on parts like RAM and CPU. You don't know what incentives there will be with the new AM3+ boards yet. You might find a combo offer that will make you regret prepurchasing that RAM.

Unless, of course, you get the RAM for an insanely cheap price :p

Microcenter has this combo I am probably going to snag up:

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor

And

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD Moterboard

For $160.

Microcenter has this combo I am probably going to snag up:

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor

And

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD Moterboard

For $160.
Not bad, not bad. That combo also has the ability to unlock to quad.

That board is $105 at the 'Egg, so basically, you're getting the 560 for ~$55, which is $96 at the 'Egg

Unless, of course, you get the RAM for an insanely cheap price :p

I'm getting my RAM used for $50. Hard to pass up.

You hate that I'm buying it part by part? I think it's rather smart of me to wait since I have a good deal on this RAM, be very sure about the rest of the parts I am going to buy, since it's going to take me a while to sell my old parts anyways.

So, according to dude who think's part by part is bad - you assume it's best to get a great combo deal and just pull the trigger all at once? Even then something new or cheaper or a better deal could come out... who cares? At least I'm trying my hardest to get myself the best deal possible.

Rather than derailing my thread, what would you suggest, I buy a good CPU / video card combo? Rather than tearing me a new one, how about tearing me a new one but suggesting something? Thanks.

I'm getting my RAM used for $50. Hard to pass up.

You hate that I'm buying it part by part? I think it's rather smart of me to wait since I have a good deal on this RAM, be very sure about the rest of the parts I am going to buy, since it's going to take me a while to sell my old parts anyways.

So, according to dude who think's part by part is bad - you assume it's best to get a great combo deal and just pull the trigger all at once? Even then something new or cheaper or a better deal could come out... who cares? At least I'm trying my hardest to get myself the best deal possible.

Rather than derailing my thread, what would you suggest, I buy a good CPU / video card combo? Rather than tearing me a new one, how about tearing me a new one but suggesting something? Thanks.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over my previous suggestion to wait and buy all your parts when you're definitely ready to build. You can buy whatever you want whenever you want. I think you read my post more critically than i meant it. I'm only looking out for you. When I said I hate when people buy piece by piece over time, I didn't mean that I hate those people. I meant that I hate to see people regret hasty purchases. You may decide upon the AM3+ launch that you want to wait a few weeks until there is a library of solid reviews published so that you can make the most informed decision possible. A lot can change in a short amount of time with computer hardware, it's just the nature of the beast. Buying parts just to sit on them for weeks or months just seems like it can potentially limit your options when it comes time to get that mobo.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over my previous suggestion to wait and buy all your parts when you're definitely ready to build. You can buy whatever you want whenever you want. I think you read my post more critically than i meant it. I'm only looking out for you. When I said I hate when people buy piece by piece over time, I didn't mean that I hate those people. I meant that I hate to see people regret hasty purchases. You may decide upon the AM3+ launch that you want to wait a few weeks until there is a library of solid reviews published so that you can make the most informed decision possible. A lot can change in a short amount of time with computer hardware, it's just the nature of the beast. Buying parts just to sit on them for weeks or months just seems like it can potentially limit your options when it comes time to get that mobo.

Haha all good. I was trying to figure out if I got a very overclockable 6 core AMD Phenom if it would be worth pulling the trigger on now and wait for the AM3+ motherboards as the release for new AMD CPUs is fairly unclear. I have the video card and RAM picked out and I don't mind waiting a month anyways to gather the necessary funds for the rest.

I also own 2 of Gigabyte's GA-890GPA-UD3H (890GX) heavily populated with stuff, and I like them.

If you wait a bit longer, or may consider switching side between Radeon and GTX cards any time, the next AM3+/990 boards should be the better choice.

I ended up going with a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H. It's a pretty sweet motherboard that should last me for a while, then in a few months I might swap it out and upgrade my mobo and video card, probably closer to my birthday in October.

The gigabyte UD5 is sold for around 150 euro , the UD7 is about 190-200 euro . Boards are nearly identical (1 more PCI-E slot).

What about the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX?

My new favorite! Doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the Crosshair but has the same bulletproof build quality and durability. I was planning on buying one this week but with the questionable Bulldozer performance, Im gonna wait. Otherwise an awesome, well built board according to the reviews.

What about the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3880#ov

nothing is wrong with the sabertooth looks to be a good board. However I think the gigabyte ud7 990fx will be better.

There are no reviews of the 990fx ud7 yet though. Both are are great boards. Gigabyte has there A game as of late though. I wonder if they will make a OC varriant like they did x58 with the 990fx.

That does look like a badass board. It isnt out on the market yet so I wonder what itll price?

It should be out , i can buy them where I life. Even the other version. 150 euro translates to something like $200 (UD5) and the UD7 would set you back for something like $250 ... That is if the prices are as high as they are here in Europe...

I dont think theyre out here in the states, or not that I can find anyway. The Sabertooth is the only one 990 board thats out this side of the pond as far as I know anyway.

Well as soon as the [H] review is done there will be a sponsored link for the gigabyte 990FX UD7 :) .

it probably won't drop much in price.

I went ahead and ordered mine. Along with some ram
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

will drop in my thuban, and await the FX processors.

If only it came with 2 pci slots.

Anyone know why Gigabyte got rid of the dual NICs in the transition from 890FX to 990FX? The 890FX UD5 had two chips, the 990FX doesn't. Seems like a step back, though I'm not sure how relevant it is to most users. The newer version certainly looks a lot better.

Back