Best air cooling for a Opty 165

I went with the Zalman 9500 for my 170 because I didn't want a gigantic 12cm fan hovering over my mainboard. No temps to report since the new rig isn't built yet, (waiting for PSU and GPU).

The 9500 is reported to do better in certain situations than the Ninja and TR 120 - "The table above makes it quite clear how good the Zalman 9500 is: At roughly the same airflow it significantly outperforms every other heatsink we've tested." - but with some caveats... review

Mine will be going into a Silverstone Temjin TJ06 case; it has the air tunnel so I can run the 9500 at lowish speeds.

Of course, YMMV.

The mechanisms for mounting the Ninja and mounting a fan on the Ninja suck. But it does cool really well once you've got it all put together.

I think the actual mounting of the Ninja on the MB wasn't really hard to do at all. But, I will agree that the mounting for the fan is pretty stupid. But, on my case I decided to not mount the ninja fan. The Lian Li V1000 I have has a 120 fan in the back directly across from the CPU that is an intake fan. The ninja fan would only be able to mount between this fan and the heatsink and I decided it wouldn't be worth it to have 2 seperate fans placed almost directly next to each other, so I left the fan off.

i have a thermalright si120 w/panalflow ua(u1?, one of the 105+cfm 120mms).. and man, my temps so far suck. i just put it all together yesterday so hopefully the arctic silver is drying still... right now im idling at 36c and pushing 45-47 superpi'ing both cores.. im running 2808 ghz right now.. 0608 stepping. temps have me disappointed

aztec61 said:
Mine will be going into a Silverstone Temjin TJ06 case; it has the air tunnel so I can run the 9500 at lowish speeds.

UPDATE: changed to the CM Stacker 810 after all. :cool: Seems to be a better case in some ways than the Temjin. We'll see.

This thing is ENORMOUS!! :eek: :eek: I've never seen a case this big, except for servers. Wow!...it has expansion bays x11!! for Chrissakes!! Built like a sh!te brickhouse too. Temps on air should end up being pretty decent.

Back