• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Air Cooler Around

AKshay87

n00b
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
58
After having read a post on how a prescott was O/C from 3.8G to a gargantuan 7.4G I have finally decided to overclock my prescott 3.2Ghz 2 push my PC to the limits.I have decided 2 use air coolers instead of water coolers (too risky and require a lot of maintainence-correct me If I am wrong)

Pleez recommend a good(read BEST cooling effect/price) air cooler for my INTEL 915GAV mobo(placed vertically- if that helps) along with prices and temperatures obtained.
Do i also need 2 replace.the fan on the backside of the cabinet (i guress it is 80 mm fan)?
Where can I get the heat sensors to measure the temps of my PC?

I think ZALMAN 9500 is too bulky for my mobo and that heat dissapated by it may not be able to leave
 
AKshay87 said:
I think ZALMAN 9500 is too bulky for my mobo and that heat dissapated by it may not be able to leave
Why so?

The Zalman 9500 is one of the better solutions you can get. Also, consider the Thermalright XP-120/SI-120.
 
GUIDE: Air-cooling for CPUs, GPUs, and just about everyone of you basically sums it up quite nicely.

The Zalman is probably not the best when it comes to price vs. performance as it is a bit pricey, but it's probably one of the better coolers as it directs the airflow to your rear case fan and out of the case, rather than just blowing air down onto the mobo (which may have it's own merits).
 
AND I QUOTE : Korruption :-Why so?

the reason is that it weighs 530gms : 80 more than recommended for sockets by INTEL & AMD,so i fear there will be alot of pressure(well; not ALOT but u get the picture) on the mobo as it is in a vertical position.Will the INTEL 915 GAV bend if I use it.
I also read that one of the attchments comes too close to the Mobo's capacitors ,hopefully that does not give me a problem.
Plus,I have a side exhaust fan (I Ball cabinet) which goes unused.
Shud I use that for intake of air or exhaust of hot air when I choose to use the ZALMAN 9500?
Please recommend a few good fans for the side exhausts(Sholud I use Z 9500) and the rear exhaust fan(whose rpm must be higher than that of Z 9500
Noise is not an issue!!!!!!!!!!!!
if my above queries are answered then I might just get my hands on the same
Anthr Q: does the choice of thermal paste(Grease) matter or the company that mfd it?

Thxx for replying neway
 
On the official ranking by www.overclockers.com the best heatsink is the thermalright XP-90C behind it is the scythe ninja. Oddly the xp-120 has not been tested but performance is nearly identical to the xp-90c. The SI-120 is fourth on the list after the standard XP-90.
 
XP-120S with 120mm fan. I have it on my P4 3.0E running 3.9Ghz on air. Best I could do on stock intel cooler was 3.5ish. Also my temps are cooler running @3.9Ghz with the XP-120S than the intel cooler was at 3.5.ghz.

Best of luck on whatever you decide!

System Info:

Abit IC7-G Max II
Prescott 3.0E @ 3.9Ghz
1GB Kingston HyperX PC4000 512X2
PNY 6800GT 256MB

CPU-Z validation
 
draksia said:
On the official ranking by www.overclockers.com the best heatsink is the thermalright XP-90C behind it is the scythe ninja.
"Best" is such a relative term. To me "best" means quiet, not sure whether the XP-90C running at 5500rpm could possibly qualify as quiet.
 
BEST air cooler? Scythe Ninja with 2x120mm Delta 200cfm fans. Practical? Hardly. That would be something to the tune of 70dBa.

QUIETEST air cooler? Scythe Ninja with no fans. Practical? Not for a Pressie. Definitely not for an OC'ing Pressie.

BEST COMPROMISE air cooler? Zalman CNPS9500 by a long shot. Definitely no equal in the air cooling [or entry watercooling] market.
 
AKshay87 said:
I think ZALMAN 9500 is too bulky for my mobo and that heat dissapated by it may not be able to leave

I have a 9500 and the heat dissipated definitely leaves the case. I have the 9500's fan blowing the heat straight out the back of my aspire case. cpu temp is 36 deg. celsius at idle, and mid-high 40s while gaming. I'm using arctic silver ceramique, which still has less than 100 hrs of break-in time. I also have the prescott you have in another computer, I'd like to see what I could overlock it to, but first I need some better ram than pc3200 :eek:
 
AKshay87 said:
the reason is that it weighs 530gms : 80 more than recommended for sockets by INTEL & AMD,so i fear there will be alot of pressure(well; not ALOT but u get the picture) on the mobo as it is in a vertical position.Will the INTEL 915 GAV bend if I use it.
I also read that one of the attchments comes too close to the Mobo's capacitors ,hopefully that does not give me a problem.
Plus,I have a side exhaust fan (I Ball cabinet) which goes unused.
Shud I use that for intake of air or exhaust of hot air when I choose to use the ZALMAN 9500?
Please recommend a few good fans for the side exhausts(Sholud I use Z 9500) and the rear exhaust fan(whose rpm must be higher than that of Z 9500
Noise is not an issue!!!!!!!!!!!!
if my above queries are answered then I might just get my hands on the same
Anthr Q: does the choice of thermal paste(Grease) matter or the company that mfd it?
530g is nothing. There are some other solutions out there that push 800g. Just don't be kicking your computer around... but that applies all the time. Being an all-copper solution, 530g is quite good. The 9500 has a relatively small footprint, so you'll be okay interms of capacitor clearance.

Have the side as an intake and the rear as an exhaust... they don't need to be very fast. Get some Arctic Silver Ceramique and call it a day (be sure to follow instructions).
 
The Zalman 9500 is a good cooler, but not neat the best. It's very quiet when turned all the way down with the fan mate speed control, but at 12v is pretty loud. So far I've had the TT Big Typhoon (1200 RPM), TT Golden Orb II, (1700 RPM), Astek Vapochill Micro silent version (tied) come out better in testing (Real world) on my A64 Winchester. I'm still checking more coolers against it though.
 
one of the main advantages of tower style coolers is that they clear capacitors and such motherboard components, juss so you know
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on my 3.2E @ 3.7 and it keeps it cool.

just another option :D
or the sonic tower so it exhausts the heat directly out the rear of the case
 
Back
Top