Best Ad-blocking solution for Android?

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Just curious what the best bet is for Ad-blocking on Android. Certain sites are getting incredibly annoying with their laggy fullscreen popups on mobile browsers these days.

Edit: I've read good things about Adguard for Android and am experimenting with that now.

Last edited:
I use Ghostery. Quick, and simple to use.

I use Ghostery. Quick, and simple to use.

Ghostery is only available for Android as a standalone browser (Ghostery Privacy Browser). Is that what you're talking about? I prefer sticking with Chrome Beta on Android + Adguard for Android which so far is working great [H] white-listed of course.

Adguard is best if you're not rooted. If you are rooted, there are a number of good choices such as Adaway, Unbeloved Hosts (Xposed module), and MinMin Guard (Xposed modules).

Reactions: Sorce
like this
I agree with AdGuard. Free for web blocking, pay removes ads in apps. Recently got a lifetime license during a 60% off sale just to throw the dev some support, had some Opinion Rewards money sitting around.

I just run firefox and install ublock origin. Don't really see the need for ad blocking elsewhere.

Root and Adaway is the best option. I used Adguard for awhile since I didn't root my old LG V10. I actually signed up for the Adguard beta so that I could get the new functionality like HTTPS filtering early.

Adguard works well enough but I didn't like it at all. It was a supreme battery killer. Some days it just made the phone heat up and ate the battery. A buddy of mine saw the same thing. This happened regardless of using the stable release or the beta release.

Also having used Adguard on my G5 before obtaining root I can say that Adguard makes browsing slower compared to Adaway. Adaway is just a much better way to do it.

+vote for AdAway. Removes ads not only in internet browsing but in pretty much ALL apps, universally.

AdAway is my go to on every phone I've owned. Plus MinMinGuard Xposed module to stop ads in apps. And of course YouTube AdAway.

All this works great on my LG G5

Reactions: DPI
like this
AdAway is my go to on every phone I've owned. Plus MinMinGuard Xposed module to stop ads in apps. And of course YouTube AdAway.

All this works great on my LG G5

I installed AdAway and it prevent ads in apps. At least, every app I've tried so far.

Back