best "access point" for the buck?

damarious25

Limp Gawd
Using a *unix distro router and don't need all the bells and whistles that come with a top of the line router. So, what I need is a fast access point at the best price. I'm aware just about any router can be used as an access point but those who know what I mean won't be raising that point...

Help?

Ubiquiti UniFi. Roughly $70 to $90 depending on where you get it.

Requires a Mac or Windows PC to run the controller software though.

Second choice would be a different Ubiquiti product that doesn't have a controller *OR* Mikrotik solution.

What is your budget?
200(CDN) max. But seeing how top of the line home consumer routers rarely reach that point I was hoping to get an uncontrolled consumer or commercial access point for much much cheaper.

Second choice would be a different Ubiquiti product that doesn't have a controller *OR* Mikrotik solution.

Being in Canada I checked out the Canadian distributor but they don't carry the Unifi. I never had a chance to fully review the product info but it looks to be what I'm after. Like you said though, it requires software. Thanks for the ideas for ubiquiti and mikrotik. I will be researching those heavily over the next few weeks.

Xagyl Communications or ubnt.ca in Canada. Also Insight has them as well. I've ordered them from all 3 before.

Mac or Windows? Don't forget Linux...

And, what he said. I love my UAP.

I scored a Unifi myself and have been happy with it so far. That's why I was curious about the budget. For $80 you can't beat it. If you had a few hundge to spend I'd say look for a used Cisco 1141/1142 AP on eBay.

I scored a Unifi myself and have been happy with it so far. That's why I was curious about the budget. For $80 you can't beat it. If you had a few hundge to spend I'd say look for a used Cisco 1141/1142 AP on eBay.

The N stuff from Cisco is still too expensive. I switched from 1131s to UAPs and I've been content.

Back