Best 939 pin AMD mobo

Budzman

[H]ard|Gawd
Going to try AMD for my next rig, whats a solid mobo I can use with a Rev E 3500+.

Not gonna do SLI and I have some pc4000 ram leftover from my last rig.

It would be nice if it has atleast 3 pci slots.

seconded, The DFI Nforce 4 Ultra-D would be the way to go. if not that, than the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. Ive heard good things about both, and i have an MSI( not that one though).

Do you need AGP? (basically do you already have a graphics card that is AGP that you want to use). If so do not get the Ultra-D.

What heatsink would you guys recommend throwing on the DFI nf4 Ultra-D? Are there any issues with space with a bigger hsf like the zalman 7700's? How's the xp-90 fit?

CoolD said:
What heatsink would you guys recommend throwing on the DFI nf4 Ultra-D? Are there any issues with space with a bigger hsf like the zalman 7700's? How's the xp-90 fit?

I would suggest the XP-90C. It reduced my clawhammer's temp from 58C 1.75v priming to 47C 1.75v priming. Before I had a zalman 7000, which is a little smaller than the 7700, but still. The XP-90C is a beast.

I am not sure if it is the best, but the ASUS A8N deluxe is incredibly stable with the latest BIOS. I am running a FX-55, dual ASUS 6800 Ultras and 2x1 Corsair XMS pros and this thing smokes! I was on the fence between ASUS and DFI, but if you want to run SLI the ASUS board is the best choice...in my opinion. The ASUS did have a problem in the beginning, however it was quickly corrected and it is nothing less than stunning.

axiom said:
The Swiftech box says this is a "low noise" heatsink. Can it really be "low noise" without any moving parts?
Um, the MCX6400-V ships without a fan so you have to add your own. But the MCX64-V has an included 80x25mm Delta fan rated @28db, 2700RPM, 31.4CFM. It's supposedly pretty quiet and tested at only about 1c higher temps than the MCX6400-V with the same fan.

CoolD said:

I have a Zalman 7700, and the only issue is it takes a little more finesse to get memory in the third and fourth slots. No big deal though.

Back