best 7970 block

tunatime

Well...OK
i have 3 reference 7970s MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE

they are getting to hot the gpu are in teh 70-80c range but the vrms are getting to hot one card is over 100c at stock clocks. im looking to go water on them as i already have my cpu on water.

so whats a good block that cools the vrms really good? and whats the best way to connect the cards, i see they have link things but how do you know what size to get?
my mb has 3 spaces between card 1 and 2 and 2 spaces between 2 and 3. so whats the best way to link 3 blocks together?

do you need the back plates for them to?
and why is it that ever place is out of stock on blocks for the 7970?

Backplates are aesthetics only.

7970s are generally in high demand, because of mining. The price of reference 7970s have risen a little bit.

i think i might pick up a new rad to my, case can hold 2 120x2 rads and im only using 1, or it looks like if i take out the hhd bay i can fit a 120x3 in it. i know 1 120x2 wont cut it would 2 cut it or should i mod my case to take a 120x3? eather way whats a good rad nowadays

For 3 GPUs, you'd want at least 120x3. If CPU cooling is also in the equation, then 120x3 + 120x2 would be best. Take a dremel/jigsaw and make rads fit.

Rads: XSPC RX/EX, Alphacool XT45/UT60, Swiftech MCR-QPs, Black Ice GTX Extremes. Take your pick. I like Alphacool's because they have screw guards, low restriction, and high performance.

A 1x120mm is recommended for each card and CPU...so dual 2x120mm radiators will do excellently...if you can fit a 3x120mm then more the merrier. As far as what blocks...any should do really, just make sure they cover all the VRM's and what not.

I would recommend the Heatkiller 7970 full cover block. According to bundymania's testing, it cools and flows well.

I grabbed one for my second 7970 and it's consistently 5-9*C cooler at load than my EK non-CSQ full cover. I repasted the EK card <6 months ago when I got Fujipoly pads to improve VRM temperatures, so both blocks have the same thermal paste and pads.

I would recommend the Heatkiller 7970 full cover block. According to bundymania's testing, it cools and flows well.

I grabbed one for my second 7970 and it's consistently 5-9*C cooler at load than my EK non-CSQ full cover. I repasted the EK card <6 months ago when I got Fujipoly pads to improve VRM temperatures, so both blocks have the same thermal paste and pads.

Definitely gotta second this, I've used EK, XSPC and Heatkiller blocks on my 7970s and I definitely like the heatkiller block better.

Sorta threadjackingly related: Does 51º-54ºC loaded on a OC'ed 7970 (heatkiller) w/ 3820 OCed on a 360 mm rad seem too hot?

Definitely gotta second this, I've used EK, XSPC and Heatkiller blocks on my 7970s and I definitely like the heatkiller block better.

Sorta threadjackingly related: Does 51º-54ºC loaded on a OC'ed 7970 (heatkiller) w/ 3820 OCed on a 360 mm rad seem too hot?

I have 4 OC'ed 7970s with heatkiller blocks and they hit 45C, fully loaded. 55 seems too hot to me.

I just asked FrozenCPU and they said they're not going to have stocks of Heatkiller 7970 for at least 3-4 weeks. They're made to order and they're at the bottom of FCPU's order queue.

Depends on the fans on your radiator.

With dual 580s on a GTX 480 radiator and fan 2150 RPM Gentle Typhoon speeds down around 800 RPM, I have full load temps at up to 80 C. Turning the fan speeds up to ~1400 RPM yields me temps around 60 C. This is with Danger Den blocks, which I think were the worst performing 580 blocks.

I just asked FrozenCPU and they said they're not going to have stocks of Heatkiller 7970 for at least 3-4 weeks. They're made to order and they're at the bottom of FCPU's order queue.

know of another site to order form?

Back