• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best (775) mATX board for underclocking

RussianInfantry

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
75
That's right, underclocking. I basically wish to assemble a passively (or ultra-low RPM) cooled Q6600 system running at a slim and trim 1.2GHz (6x200), and am looking for a decent board to do it with. Preferably a board with vcore settings below 1.1v.

Any suggestions?
 
if you are underclocking why not just get a cheap Celeron E1400 for $60 or so instead of running a Q6600 which will require more power even when underclocked? Do you have the intent of running it at 4.8gh (4 x 1.2ghz) when all 4 coresare needed? The celeron will still be producing a decent 4ghz when you need the power.

I have tried underclocking and sometimes it does not boot when it gets too low. I do not know the reason behind it though, probably the memory running too low and the SPD deafualts to a timing that is running too tight.
 
I simply want a silent box crunching F@H SMP 24/7.

Sanchez, I'll look into the DFI board, thanks. I know the Asus boards lowest vcore setting is 1.1v.
 
Do you have the intent of running it at 4.8gh (4 x 1.2ghz) when all 4 coresare needed?


Even if all cores was running it still doesn't make it 4.8gighrz. Cpus simply don't work that way. If that was the case they would markey the q6600 as a 9.6gighrz cpu. Plus they are not 4 independant cores either. They are two cores to each side. so basically one pair per side.


O.p. Do you just need 4 cores? Perhaps that is what you have laying around for a build. But i'm sure a 45nm die would be better and run a lot less cooler. But either or good luck with it.


Good Day
 
Picked up a B3 Q6600 on the cheap, and am simply looking for a board with low voltage settings so I can underclock it. I simply want a passively cooled always-on box.
 
Back
Top