Best 750gb SATA drive?

WesM63

2[H]4U
I'm upgrading my array from 5x320gb seagate 7200.10 perpendicular drives to 5x750gb drives.

Now, i was set on buying the Seagate 7200.11 750gb drives with 32Mb cache. However,after looking the Samsung Spinpoint F1's (HD753LJ) are said to be even better and are cheaper.
So whats the deal?

I'm not to keen on buying the Samsungs as i've only ever used Seagate and Western Digital drives. Are samsung drives as reliable as the others? What type of warranty do they have?

I'll be using a Highpoint RocketRaid 2320 8port PCI-X raid card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The rated URE on the Samsung F1's is the same as enterprise drives on Seagate and Western Digital..... I have been a big fan of Seagate drives, namely, the 7200.10s/.11s, but the F1s are so great on power, because of the 3 platter design v. the 5 platters of the WD and Seagate.....

My server is all Seagate, but I wish I could have gone with the Samsungs, but I already had 10 7200.10s at the start of the project....

And the price on the Samsung drives is the cheapest as well, so that is my two sense's worth.....

similar dilemma as i was going to grab a few 1tb RE-2 WD Green Power drives but after seeing the price of the 750gb F1 slashed i'm in 2 minds.

this is for a raid 5 server so speed really isn't the only factor which is why i was so keen on the WD GP's but gee the price/gb on the samsung is amazing right now.

i'd take the F1 over the 7200.11 all day long though, less power, more quiet and in real terms better performance - remember that although seagate have good STR their real world performance sucks alot of the time.

I decided to give the Samsungs a try. I ordered 3 of them today.

Unfortunately my three Samsung F1 750GB drives had to be returned because two of them were bad. I got a refund for all 3.

I went with something a little smaller, the WD 640GB, but they have the 320GB platters, are faster drives, and I've been very happy with them.

Just bought 3 of these @ Microcenter in Paterson, NJ ( Thanks Mavalpha )

I'm still debating 1 for boot and 2 in mirror or get a +/- 200mb for boot and these 3 in RAID 5?

They're going into an MSI K8-NGM2-FID (Opteron 170+3GB) box, which the manual says supports RAID 5

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8NGM2-FID

CIMG0329.JPG

i like seagate drives. all of my drives are seagates. i only had 1 bad one and that was because the seller didn't ship it padded. the jerk LOL :p

Seagate makes a good drive, but I had poor performance and other issues when running them in RAID5 on my Areca 1231ML. I sold them off and bought 8 Western Digital 750gb AAKA SE drives, and they are great. I just ordered another last night for a spare. Much quieter than the Seagate drives, run cooler, and I have not had a single issue to report.

Back