Best < $70

choppedliver

Limp Gawd
my quad core i3 dell has a 350w ps and a 9600gt video card which works fine for dual monitors and has now for several years.

I got an hd 6770 recently to replace the 9600gt for three monitor productivity work and occasional gaming, and i had to disconnect my cdrom to even be able to install video drivers without the ps shutting the whole rig down. I haven't tried to run 3d mode yet. Im guessing it would be too much.

I will be building an i7 rig with dual 6770's eventually (next 60 days or so), so I'd like to keep that in mind while buying a power supply ( now ).

Any recommendations which would fit my needs now and later?

edit: I am looking on amazon at these:

ocz modstream pro 600w , $69,
Thermaltake TR-600 , $59.99
Corsair Builder Cx600 80 plus, $66.24
Cooler Master Extreme 600 W $64.99

Im thinking at my current 350w psu, I'd need at least a 400 to run my single 6770, and guessing a 550w would run them both, so I thought Id err on the side of caution with a 600 and give a little room for my future rig

Anyone?

Last edited:
as I am sure you are aware, these days, the total wattage of the power supply is one thing, but the available amps is another, 350w psu is low and I would be guessing it has 15a or less on the 12v. Usually if you plan on using 2 gpu in your system you would want as mentioned 550-600w and I would say around the 25a minimum. There is a fair amount of "quality" power supplies out there for ~$70
Thermaltake/Ocz would not be on my list though, if you are going to spend the $, spend it on a reasonable quality product.

Antec Neo Eco 520c $49 with promo
[Corsair CX600 $49 with promo
Rosewill Green 630 $59
Antec Neo Eco 620c $69

Theres a couple for you.

my quad core i3 dell has a 350w ps and a 9600gt video card which works fine for dual monitors and has now for several years.

I got an hd 6770 recently to replace the 9600gt for three monitor productivity work and occasional gaming, and i had to disconnect my cdrom to even be able to install video drivers without the ps shutting the whole rig down. I haven't tried to run 3d mode yet. Im guessing it would be too much.

I will be building an i7 rig with dual 6770's eventually (next 60 days or so), so I'd like to keep that in mind while buying a power supply ( now ).

Any recommendations which would fit my needs now and later?

edit: I am looking on amazon at these:

ocz modstream pro 600w , $69,
Thermaltake TR-600 , $59.99
Corsair Builder Cx600 80 plus, $66.24
Cooler Master Extreme 600 W $64.99

Im thinking at my current 350w psu, I'd need at least a 400 to run my single 6770, and guessing a 550w would run them both, so I thought Id err on the side of caution with a 600 and give a little room for my future rig

Anyone?

Look at the PSU models in the list dragonstongue posted. The ones that you listed in your original post are seriously overpriced for their quality, especially since even the best 600W PSU in your list (the Corsair) has only as much capacity on the +12V rail as a good 500W PSU. The TR600 and the Cooler Master Extreme are both ripoffs even at their current street prices, especially since they can barely handle even 400W without killing off some or all of the components of your soon-to-be-new build far sooner than expected.

thanks guys. Out of that list, what would your ranking of them be?

I am a prime member so that rosewill seems like a killer deal , $60 shipped sweet

edit: Ordered the rosewill, thanks again

Last edited:
well I paid $4 extra and got it shipped one day. WOW. I've never had a power supply this nice before. lol. Mine have always been the generic, factory, etc.

This thing has an absolute assload of connectors, very long cables, a nice satin black finish, and a huge cooling fan... Can't wait to get her changed out.

Thanks again for the advice.

And the power supply is quiet. Way quieter than the noisy graphics card fan. I put my ear up to it and couldn't hear it. Now I need a good game to try out on eyefinity 1x3

Back