Best 680 4GB Card

Tsuyashu

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market in buying a card, I'm currently rocking the same build in my signature except for the following:

1. u3011(thinking of getting 2 additional monitors to go portrait side by side)
2. MSI 460 1GB
3. Gskill 16gb ram

I'm planning on playing a heavily modded skyrim so I require the 4gb of vram. I was thinking of investing into a 690 to foolproof myself for at least 5 years but found out it is only 2gb vram on each gpu.

So I rather get a 680 4GB card and get another down the road if need be, I will also convert my 460 into a phy card.

So the question is, who currently is sporting the best card on the market, for the 680 4GB?

If you're going to run more than one of those monitors, you're going to need more than 1 680. Unless you like sub 20 fps. With resolutions like that and the desire to futureproof, I'd say get atleast 1 classified right now, and another down the road, or multiple right now. You won't find a better 4gb card.

the MSI Twin Frozr or Galaxy 4gb would be my choice since they have dual fans, as to which is better well the Galaxy's are 30$ cheaper but all seem to be sold out, in Canada at least.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is that site reputable? I'm just a bit suspicious that all the usual e-tailers don't have this in stock?

Surprisingly the egg only has five 4gb cards on their site now, evga/galaxy only.

In Canada NCIX sells the MSI Forzr 4gb for 600$, it's 630$+ from most other sites. I was going to to a galaxy 4gb for 570$ but they are sold out and on back order from NCIX & they don't know when they will be getting more.

I get a lot of stuff from superbiiz, mainly things I can't find anywhere else (particular msatat ssds for example)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I assume you're not planning on gaming on those side monitors?

The point here being that with nvidia cards you won't be able to use Surround with Portrait-Landscape-Portrait. You'll need the same three monitors and either go PPP or LLL.

For what it's worth, I've got 3 x u3011 running with 3 680 Classified cards and they're doing pretty well. There's pretty much no way to set all games to their top settings when running 8050x1600 resolution but moving the sliders down just slightly provides a great experience with 3 680s. My favorite part of the Classified cards is the fact that even at "full" speed and my cards up around 80C the noise doesn't bother me at all. I had 3 of the Galaxy cards previously and the temp on the middle card would go over 100C almost immediately after starting a game and they'd sound like jet engines.

Yup, full-screen PLP rendering is conspicuously beyond the capabilities of either GPU maker.

I had 3 of the Galaxy cards previously and the temp on the middle card would go over 100C almost immediately after starting a game and they'd sound like jet engines.

Putting non-exhausting cards together is a recipe for disaster. People whine about stock coolers and would apparently use anything else, but blowers absolutely have their purpose. Coupled with good positive airflow, they can stay nice and quiet.

I could have added that I also have a Galaxy 670 in my HTPC and that thing runs cool and quiet at all times. You're absolutely right about the general feeling towards the blower fans...I was certainly biased even though my last card with one on was a GTX 285.

I could have added that I also have a Galaxy 670 in my HTPC and that thing runs cool and quiet at all times. You're absolutely right about the general feeling towards the blower fans...I was certainly biased even though my last card with one on was a GTX 285.

They work amazingly well in a system with balanced airflow and good spacing, but that's not likely to happen if you're using more than two. You can get the same noise performance with blowers on a positive pressure setup in a smaller enclosure, which is the route I went.

Back