• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Best 5.1 speaker setup for $1000?

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
2,751
I know this queston has been asked a thousand times, but I did a few search variations and came up with nothing usefull.... so I'm braving the flaming and asking again. :cool:

I had made up my mind on a Acculine system, but they seem to have vanished... so I'm left with starting over. I've a Marantz SR 5003 reciever and three 30" monitors (XHD3000's - The third monitor, a new Ikea desk and A/V rack are in transit, so this pic will be outdated soon). I need a 5.1 speaker setup that will closely match their height and appearance. I will primarily be watching movies and playing games, music is a secondary concern. Aestetics are semi-important, but performance per dollar is more so.

So far I'm considering Axiom's products, specifically the M22 v2's for fronts; VP100 v2 for center; M2 v2's for surround and EP175 v2 for sub. That combo however, completely shots my budget unless I can find them much cheaper.

I'd love some input. Would you confirm this selection? Tweak it? or have a better suggestion? All constructive input is welcome... and thanks for putting up with yet another "best X for the $$$" thread. :D
 
i have axiom m2,vp100,qs4 for a few years. pretty good speakers. You can do alot better than that axiom subwoofer thou. For $560, you have may other choices ..like svs, hsu, ed...etc
 
Thanks for the input gents.

Appreciate hearing from an Axiom owner Calvieee, and I agree on the sub. I'd originally looked at Velodyne and REL because I have some experience with them... but I knew nothing about the EP175, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the heads up on the other brands. I will do some research on them.

Alai you're hilartious, lol. Thanks for the compliments! I have a thread detailing this project's progression here if you're interested. I had no idea I would get this out of hand with it when I started. Thank God for over-time I guess, lol. I'm trying to get this wrapped up relatively soon so I can concentrate on saving for a house (renting currently). This little dream has been a complete distraction from any kind of responsible savings, lol.

As far as a sub budget, I'd prefer to keep it under $500; even $400 considering I still need five other speakers. It is looking like it is going to take $1500 to get what I want, but I've got to stick to my guns on the budget or I may get shot by one of a half dozen relatives. :D

Thanks again for your help.
 
My advice: buy used... Look on Audiogon and go on a nice buying spree. You might also be able to buy local which will save on shipping costs and maybe you can even audition the set to see if you like it or not.
 
FWIW - I just bought the ELT525 5.0 system, and am pairing it with the eD a7s 450 (/w 1300w amp & eq2) subwoofer. Will be running it through an Onkyo SR606 via optical. This system is slightly above the budget line you are talking about, but will report back and let you know how it works.
 
You must not go on Audiogon as often as I. Lol. Recently, the subwoofer supply has been dry at Audiogon.

I agree with 450, go the audiogon route.

That's what I did.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

You can find good subwoofers there too. I always see good deals on SVS, Hsu and so on.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1244841459&/SVS-pb10---isd

If you go the Axiom route and you get the upgrade itch, you can always upgrade your crossovers with one of Skiing Ninjas upgrades. They will make a huge difference.

http://www.skiingninja.com/category-s/76.htm
 
You must not go on Audiogon as often as I. Lol. Recently, the subwoofer supply has been dry at Audiogon.

Multiple times a day.

To say you shouldn't look there is the problem.

You're right that there isn't as big of a selection compared to speakers/amps/cables, but it's still worth checking out.
 
Some awesome suggestions, thanks all!

I have browsed Audiogon a bit, but not nearly enough. I'll wait until I have the money saved and ready, then I'll hit it heavier. The problem seems to be finding a matched set of fronts and center that fit my budget, performance and aestetics desires. I'm sure a little patience will pay off (something I don't tend to have much of when it comes to buying toys. ;) ).

Alai, greatly appreciate the heads up on Skiing Ninjas! I was unaware and will look at them if I go with Axiom. Excellent info, thank you.

After picking up the third 30" and A/V rack I'll have to recoup some before going after the speakers, but I'll post my progress as I go. Once again, I appreciate all the input.
 
Back
Top